• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 vs Socket 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're building a new rig, then go AM2 for future proofing reasons. However, if you're currently a 939 user, theres no performance benefit by going AM2. I'm waiting for the K8L to come out before upgrading. I have enough performance to keep me happy for the time being.

fordsierra4x4 said:
If you're building a new rig, then go AM2 for future proofing reasons. However, if you're currently a 939 user, theres no performance benefit by going AM2. I'm waiting for the K8L to come out before upgrading. I have enough performance to keep me happy for the time being.
2nd this decission. Later when AM3 chips arrive you can drop one into the same socket on a good mobo.

AlabamaCajun said:
2nd this decission. Later when AM3 chips arrive you can drop one into the same socket on a good mobo.

are you guys serious? i'm looking to upgrade next year (i wanna get in on these dual cores :p) and you're saying that it wouldn't be worth it to get an am2? and yes yes i know about conroe, but im talking next year .. maybe march/april, so there will be all kinds of mb's/cpus out to change my mind

if i was buying **only amd** is it worth it to save up and invest in AM2 and give up on s939?

siresword, Lookin at the HW you have I would say you would want to wait. DFI is just releasing boards, not seen the new "D"s yet so might get real serious soon. By next Spring you should be able to get the newer 65nm 4600 X2 or better to hold you for another year until AM3s are out and at consumer pricing levels. If you look at what is going on with AMD, you can see that they had to make the switch to DDR2 and change socket. This caused Mobo makers to have to retool in just a few short years while intels S775 has been stable for a few more and they shoehorned a new chip into that same bottleneck, I mean socket :p. By not requiring a socket change, AM3 will give the mobo makers a break until DDR3 hits. On the DDR3 note, from what I've seen in AMD lits, revision F,s memory controller is already set to run DDR3. There is one catch that as AM3 progesses, the AM2 boards will not take full advantage of the chip. OK, why would you want to put AM3 chip into AM2 MOBO?
Upside, You still get to run the AM3 at it's full potential, and you keep your other investments, Video, Ram, Drives, PSU etc.
Downside, you can't use DDR3 on the older mobo (but look how long it took DDR2 to get going). I'm sure NF5 or NF6 controllers will have some updates.

Just when I'm finished this I though, 4x4 may be a reality by Spring :santa:

do you really think AM3/DDR3 will be out ... umm before say june of next year? I don't want to wait that long on upgrading and i upgrade my computer every year give or take.. I think moving to AM2 is plenty for me (i'm going to have to buy new cpu/mobo/ram :( ), and I've heard very little about DDR3/AM3 to think about buying it

i'm just wondering if AM2 is as good as it seems.. Is it the next step or are s939 opties still better than AM2 chips?

im prolly gonna wait with my s939 for now until next year and then do full upgrade .. ill prolly just replace my opty 170 with an fx60 or something until then

madhatR said:
im prolly gonna wait with my s939 for now until next year and then do full upgrade .. ill prolly just replace my opty 170 with an fx60 or something until then

My thoughts as well but I think I'm going to look for a 175 or 180.

Jonspd

why do you guys keep talking about am3 when am2's are 'new' (new-ish?) technology?

will am3's really come out before the end of next year? I can't see AMD leaving AM2 in the dust and getting DDR3 memory on the shelves on such a short timeline

I'm going to agree with fordsierra4x4 on this one. If you are currently an owner of a s939 rig AM2 is probably not worth it. Benchmarks showed that AM2 was only about a 5-10% increase in perfromance. In my words its just s939 with DDR2 memory added. Like everyone is mentioning we will begin to see real power from AMD with the release of "AM3" or so we hope.

jonspd said:
Dont you mean K8L

What is AM3?
I believe AMD dubbed the K8L "AM3".

siresword said:
why do you guys keep talking about am3 when am2's are 'new' (new-ish?) technology?

will am3's really come out before the end of next year? I can't see AMD leaving AM2 in the dust and getting DDR3 memory on the shelves on such a short timeline

IIRC, AMD plans on releasing their next cpu's in Q1 2007. They will be native AM3, but will be capable of working in socket AM2. Someone else must know more about this than me however.

AM2 is the same as s939 (if you have good ddr2 ram)

the diference is AM2 OVERCLOCKS BETTER, you can make a dual core hit 3GHz easily (most of them) on s939 that was really hard

not with the 165's tho?

I still think I will wait on 4x4 amd stuff to come around before I do anything.

Metr0 said:
AM2 is the same as s939 (if you have good ddr2 ram)

the diference is AM2 OVERCLOCKS BETTER, you can make a dual core hit 3GHz easily (most of them) on s939 that was really hard

:eek: r u very sure with AM2 OVERCLOCKS BETTER, you can make a dual core hit 3GHz easily (most of them)
if 2.0ghz easily reach 3.0ghz, that's WOOOOOOW :)
very nice solution to fight against Conroe ;) at least when u calculate price-performance ratio ;)

Karbon said:
IIRC, AMD plans on releasing their next cpu's in Q1 2007. They will be native AM3, but will be capable of working in socket AM2. Someone else must know more about this than me however.
Read post #6 in this thread!

siresword said:

my thoughts exactly, and even if you go AM2 you will be able to use the next chip AMD puts out in an AM2 socket

Back