• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which heatsink/fan should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I'm buying parts to build my first system and I'm looking at an EPOX 8KHA+ and an Athlon XP 1600+ (OEM). I'd like to use a Thermaltake VOLCANO 5 but I don't know if it will fit this board or handle OCing. Any suggestions for a heatsink/fan that won't blow my budget (under $20)?

Well, under $20 is going to be a problem if you want a HSF you can truly overclock with. A Volcano 5 is just fine for running stock, or overclocking a chip that has lesser heat output (Like a P3 or a Duron) but you're talking Athlon here. My suggestion would be to get a slower, cheaper processor (the overclocking potential of a 1500+ XP is likely to be the same as a 1600+ XP) and use the price difference for a good HSF unit. For the money, a Thermalright SK6 with a YS Tech 40 is probably your best bet for an inexpensive, high performance HSF unit. Mine was $33.50 from webuildpcs.com (with the fan) and it's available at a similar price from other vendors.

The other thing to do to save cash would be, if you're considering a boxed processor, buy an OEM (tray) processor instead.

Good cooling is worth it - I would advise not skimping.

SickBoy

I'll be going with a better heatsink/fan, probably one of those named in the AMD/FAQ. I tell ya, I really sweated this one. But now, no problem. Thanks for the replies - big help! ;)

Back