• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IHS off or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freshy98

Hi guys and girls,

Gonna get me a Celeron 1.2GHz next friday and I was wondering if to remove the IHS or not?
I can think of the benifits, but is it really nescesarry? I will be using the SK6 + Delta38 to cool the thing on the, also newly to be bought, Abit ST6.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: the peltier is off ;)

Try it with IHS On and see how it overclocks.. if not, then you can always remove the IHS later..

With that cooler and with good air-flow inside the case, 1600mhz with IHS On would be like..*nothing*. Easy as pie(unless you get really unlucky one).

Good luck on the overclock and have fun :p

Great, thanks guys!
I thought that the IHS was kind off a problem, but doesn't seem to be.

My airflow is good, I think. Having one Papst 120mm fan sucking air in my case in the lower front. One 92mm fan sucking air out of the case which is made in the side panel. And one 92mm fan sucking air out of the case which is in the back of the case above the CPU.
My case is an GXT912, see review under Case reviews on this site.
I'm not using the shrout though. I'm not sure if the 92mm fan can suck air fast enough for the Delta38.

oh yeah you're in good shape. Just OC when the goodies arrive.
The Delta 38cmf and up puts out a lot of air to the SK-6 and spits out whole bunch from its sides. it'll blow out to the sides so hard that it'd even blow out the dust in the case if there's any, lol. So yeah having plenty of air sucking out the case would be good. Yours are okay though me thinkx. I'll be receiving the Asus slocket for the second SL5QV 1000E topped with SK-6 and Delta 50cfm@ 8000rpm heehee..

As for the IHS being on or off, it does make a big difference for me anyway. If you have done it then you would know. I leave it off for a reason. If you can hit 1.6 with it on then I see no reason to take it off. But ifyou temps are getting up around 50 deg. C then it may be a good time to remove it.

ol' man said:
As for the IHS being on or off, it does make a big difference for me anyway. If you have done it then you would know. I leave it off for a reason. If you can hit 1.6 with it on then I see no reason to take it off. But ifyou temps are getting up around 50 deg. C then it may be a good time to remove it.

Hi ol'man =)

Yeah that's what I meant too... I agree with u. Some of us are little bit conservative in OC'ing although we are in Overclockers forum!!!! I donno why.. but yeah removing the IHS will only help reduce the temperature of the core meaning higher overclocking potential. since there will be direct contact betw. HSF and the core. well said! ol'man. =)

Well, my Delta is sucking air out off the heatsink not blowing air in to it. That's why I let my back fan suck air out of the case to, see?

And I think I will get rid of the IHS right away. But how? Is there a descirption on how to do it?

freshy,

Did the Delta fan already attached to your SK-6 when it arrived??
Did the fan blowing direction pointing away from the HS? or did you switch the direction.
There were discussion on the SK-6 whether having the air blow toward the HS or away from it. It turned out that for the SK-6, the Fan should really blow toward the HS, not away from it. It's the HS like Pal 8045 that is designed for the air to be sucked out by its fan.

Here's how to remove the IHS on the Tually Here

Also, whether the HSF air is sucking or blowing, you suppose to have the back case fan sucking air out anyway. And ofcourse the fan on the front blows in.

Yep what [OC]_Me said and absolutely use the thinest razor blade you can find. If it isn't like these in the PIC then don't try and use it. It will be too thick. I didn't even scratch my cpu doing it this way. Don't push the razor blade in too far as you may hit the core. Only go around the edges and don't stop unitl you have all the edges cut. Don't only do half of the cpu and pry on it to get the rest off. Simply cut all the way around the cpu. I kinda wiggled it in around the cpu never really making any slicing moves also. DON"T SLICE

Simply start at the corner as I showed you and push it in gently, once you get in about the distance that I show in my pics then move to the side. I would then do this at every corner. It is unreal how easy the razor blade goes into the soft rubbery adhesive. If you ever need to glue it back on you can always do so with the same black silicone sealant they used. I have seen it before.

Good luck.

[OC]_medicine said:
freshy,

Did the Delta fan already attached to your SK-6 when it arrived??
Did the fan blowing direction pointing away from the HS? or did you switch the direction.
There were discussion on the SK-6 whether having the air blow toward the HS or away from it. It turned out that for the SK-6, the Fan should really blow toward the HS, not away from it. It's the HS like Pal 8045 that is designed for the air to be sucked out by its fan.

Also, whether the HSF air is sucking or blowing, you suppose to have the back case fan sucking air out anyway. And ofcourse the fan on the front blows in.

I have modded my SK6 using silicon to eliminate some noise..so I guess I have to redo that :-(
But what I don't understand is... If the back case fan is sucking air out of the case, and the SK6 fan is blowing air will that go allright then? There both sucking air if you know what I mean, there must be some fresh air to circulate?

freshy98 said:

I have modded my SK6 using silicon to eliminate some noise..so I guess I have to redo that :-(
But what I don't understand is... If the back case fan is sucking air out of the case, and the SK6 fan is blowing air will that go allright then? There both sucking air if you know what I mean, there must be some fresh air to circulate?

The reason why to face the fan blowing direction toward the SK6 is to cool off that burning hot HS. Those SK-6 100% base to top all-copper HS literately sucks all that heat from the CPU as it becomes more critical when the CPU is overclocked seriously high i.e. 1.2 Celly to 1.6- 1.7Ghz or 1Ghz T-birds to as high as 1.45Ghz. Also my P3 1000E at moderate OC upto 1333 doesn't seem to build too much heat. But, as what I have been running, at 1410+ and Up, the rate of heat dissipation increases at curve (tremendous increase). That SK6 holding so much of heat must be dissipated by blowing cool air directly before the HS builds way too much of heat and start to insulate the heat for the CPU. Sucking method with this HS won't cut it if you're at very high OC'ed level.
This is my opinion and what I would do for my machine. I don't know about you. It is up to you. I am not keeping you from doing your method of cooling. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
hmm..I will test it out then..
I have thought it over, and since I'm using a big Papst 120mm 80cfm fan in the front, it should be able to give me enough air for both the back en HS fan to circulate..also, the case panel fan should be OK.
Will get me a tube of silicon again :D

Back