• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duel core for ubuntu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look in your /proc/cpuinfo and check how many CPUs are listed. If there are 2, you run a SMP kernel.

wth is a xterm?!?!?!?!? sry i just started using this os last night so i have no clue wth i am doing, lol
i looked in system monitor and it only shows 1 cpu activity bar.

Applications > Accessories > Terminal. <-- That's colloquially referred to as an xterm--since it's a terminal running in X Windows.
Type:
Code:
less /proc/cpuinfo
The installer will typically automatically detect that you're an SMP system and install the appropriate kernel.

There is no installer involved when running from the LiveCD...

While Ubuntu has SMP kernels by default now, the installkernel might be different since there ahve been apparently troubles sometimes with certan hardware configs and the installer kernel, or so I read.

yes ubuntu will recognize dual core cpus, has since Breezy. You just have to have a 686 kernal installed if its Intel, or K7-smp I believe if its AMD

thanks for the help, yes it is reading i have a opteron 165 duel core thanks!
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 35
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2457.162
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
bogomips : 4916.71

Yes you do, but it's not using both cores. You should have a Processor:0 and a Processor:1 in there if it were using both cores.

klingens said:
Yes you do, but it's not using both cores. You should have a Processor:0 and a Processor:1 in there if it were using both cores.
I wouldn't expect the liveCD to detect it properly; I would expect the installer *ON* the liveCD to detect it properly and install an SMP kernel. (I'm operating on the assumption that he wants to install it, not diddle around in the liveCD environ.)

Back