• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7E and Zip conflict?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhattieD

Hi Guys,
Last week I toasted my Asus mb and swaped out for an Abit KT7E (it was cheap and local, can't afford the downtime of things being shipped to us). Anyway, everything runs great, this board even overclocks a lot more stable then my Asus A7V. The problem, however, its when I goto copy files to the zip drive the computer appears to lock up. If you let it sit long enough it will start copying the files, but its an unnacceptable time frame. Last night I went to back up our website (www.phattiedrums.com), and the computer froze for around 45 minutes, then the screen updated it self showing the site about 1/2 backed up, with several hours to go. I don't get it! It used to back up the whole site in under 2 minutes. I've checked every setting I could imagine, and cannot find the problem anywhere. If anyone has any tips or tricks, I'd appreciate the help. Haven't backed up the e-mail, finances, nor the website in a week.
Oh, and yes, I backed off the overclock, went down to 7x100, didn't make any difference in relation to the zip drive.
Does anyone have any advice? -PhattieD

Hey PhattieD, I recall something about a problem with Zip drives and this mobo...Have you updated your BIOS and drivers for all your components??? I had some problems early on with mine, but resolved them all eventually...Check out Paul's KT7 FAQ over at viahardware.com for more info...
I do recall some probs with transfer of data from one IDE to the other, but I think that the BIOS or drivers will cure it...
Wish I could be of more help, but never had a Zip drive and haven't experienced your particular problem...Keep us posted on your progress...

i have a kt7e as well ... i had lots of probz with my writer, writing in pio instead of dma
after a bios update the thing worked smooth ...

thanks...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've updated the drivers, guess I'll give the bios a flashing tomorrow, I'll post up on what happens to the poor beast! Hopefully the bios update will have some extended multiplier settings as well, just for fun. Thanks again-PhattieD

I downloaded the kt7ZE to flash, but now I can't get my floppy to work, windows sees it, says its working, but won't read from it. Neither will dos. All cables connected, all drivers in place.
Really tempted to get the Asus fixed, or maybe its time to reformat the hard drive.
Gonna get my hands on another floppy, then we'll see if I can flash......

Back