• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Thermalright SLK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've always thought the 900U was the best, but I doubt there's much difference between the 900 and the 947. There was a comparison on Socket A heatsinks on overclockers.com, but I can't get it to load right now. I'll try to find it a little later.

If you can find it, the SP-97 is slightly better. Basically a SLK-900U with heatpipes.

Alternative: Thermalright SP-97 Copper Heatsink with Heatpipe Technology
Price: $54 shipped

The SP-97 is widely considered the best HSF on the market, and pretty much the best cooling you can buy, short of taking the plunge into water cooling. The SP-97 is more or less identical to the SLK-947U save for the addition of 3 heatpipes for better heat dissipation.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=1992&p=8

Good luck finding one. I believe they have been out of production for a while now. If you look around, you can find some good deals on the SLK series heatsinks in forums classifieds. I just sold my last 2 SLK947-U heatsinks a few days ago.

TurboChickenMan said:
I'm just wondering. Does the SP-97 have clips for an 80mm fan?

It does, but why use an 80mm fan over a 92mm fan? Thermalright recommends the Delta FFB0912EHE, and you should use a fan of at least that performance level to get great results. Vantec Tornado will do fine, it's cheap and readily available.

TurboChickenMan said:
He doesn't ship to Canada. That's the third time I've seen that listing.

I want a reasonably quiet fan. I chose >>>>
Ooops .... saw your location in Canada but did not notice this on the auction page
"I will only ship to the 48 contiguous United States."

Best of luck finding an SP-97 from a retail vendor. Your best bet may be to check the "for sale" threads in the forums.

Back