• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there any new viruses that are port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Outlaw Wizard

are there any new virusus that are port viruses that atack exchange server 2000 or sql server 2000 . the reason that i ask is i have windows back office 2000 and it seem every time i install backoffice +excange server + sql server i get some sort of doa virus that my antiviurs program can't detect . any one have any idea what is going on .

The question is why do you give exchange or SQLserver access to ports on public interfaces?
Exchange maybe, but only maybe, needs port 25 access (most serious people use a better MTA in front, like postfix tho) but putting an SQL server, any SQL server on a piblic IP is just insane.

Only widespread SQL worm is Slammer, I'm sure there are still variants out there trying to infect.

Exchange uses IIS, if you are unpatched and exposed, it could be some of the IIS-attacking worms like code-red or nimda.

If you have no firewall you may be leaking Windows File Sharing (or other RPC), if you are unpatched there is a pile of stuff that will infect that way.

Remember to patch first, before exposing the ports (otherwise you may be getting infected while you are downloading or installing patches). Also, remember to re-patch after installing iis, exchange, sql, etc, as windows won't pre-patch products that aren't installed.

Back