• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my CPU had lost overclockability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD4P4SwithFSB

recently I installed my sp-97 on my lpultra-b withoutfan I thought it would be ok, after 10minutes of use I notice the temp were up to 60 on idle , so I wanted to shut it off but since It was installing some updates I left it for another 5min until it finished, meanwhile I notice temps raised as high as 85C more or less. could my cpu in that timeframe had lost its potential that fast? it use to be fine for my cpu to take 200x11 at 1.65 now not even 1.75 makes it stable, do I need even more voltage or less mhz?

you're definately going to need to provide more information before people can help you (i.e. what cpu do you have). also, 1.75 volts is EXTREMELY HIGH. Processors reach a wall where more voltage doesn't increase overclocks at all. Also keep in mind that more volts = more heat.

1.75v is not high for an AthlonXP.

At 85c, you could cause damage to the CPU core. Given that they are actually spec'ed for 85-90c (depending on the CPU itself), it's not surprising that if the load temps were legitimate, damage has been done.

I've had a CPU loose its OC capibility. But that was a P4 and it was only 100Mhz and that was the early days of the P4 line. Was good for a few months at the high speed then it was stable at 100Mhz less, and stayed that way for 2 years before I sold it.

yeah sounds like you might have caused some damage to the CPU if all other settings are the same. Running an sp-97 fanless was a poor idea, they aren't designed to run w/o fans.

I'm going to have to agree with the rest.... The fanless SP97 was a *bad* idea... tisk tisk.. I wouldn't doubt it at all if running that hot for as long as 5 minutes did some serious damage to the cpu. Keep in mind that the Socket A boards use a temperature probe in the socket, underneath the CPU, so the actual CPU die temp was probably a little more than 85C. I'd kiss your Athlon XP good bye :(

Know Nuttin said:
1.75v is not high for an AthlonXP.

At 85c, you could cause damage to the CPU core. Given that they are actually spec'ed for 85-90c (depending on the CPU itself), it's not surprising that if the load temps were legitimate, damage has been done.

Yes they are spec'd for that but that is also at defalt Vocre.
and you and i both know that is not a health temp

Back