• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice re: Conroe, please? Wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

Hi, all.

I'm not a power user, and I don't play games. AutoCAD, Matlab, some design software, stuff like that. A socket A would probably do me fine, but I'd like to go 939/754 (something "new"). My question:

Should I wait for Conroe to (hopefully) drive the prices down across the board? This is another month, 45 days tops, right?

Thanks so much!
Alex

greenmaji said:
Looks like they will be hitting retail in as little as a week or less :beer:

yeah, umm, that's mainly the NDA, I doubt you'll be able to get one then, I believe it won't be till mid to late august before you can press the checkout button at newegg...

hUMANbEATbOX said:
and why is this in the AMD section? :beer:

because he wants to know if he should wait for conroe to drive the prices down, i'm guessing, on AMD cpu's...

which, yes, you should :p

Yes wait, and go for the AM2 socket if you can. While you might not upgrade for a while at least its going ot future proof yourself if you do intend to upgrade to a faster CPU down the road.

Think its the 23rd of July price cuts are suppose to take effect on AMD's side and its going to be some nice cuts in price. With the price difference there nearly the same so it shouldn't cost you much more to future proof your rig.

Axle said:
Hi, all.

I'm not a power user, and I don't play games. AutoCAD, Matlab, some design software, stuff like that. A socket A would probably do me fine, but I'd like to go 939/754 (something "new"). My question:

Should I wait for Conroe to (hopefully) drive the prices down across the board? This is another month, 45 days tops, right?

Thanks so much!
Alex

Hiya Alex! :)

Long time no see mate? I'd suggest you wait for Conroe and then make your choice. For the applications you are using (I use Matlab, Mathematica and CAD software myself), Conroe would be quite the apt choice. However, the release of Conroe would influence prices accross the board for both AMD and older Intel CPU's, therefore, the best choice as of now would be wait and watch. :)

Maybe AMD would heavily discount their X2 line of processors. :)

DavidJa said:
^^ and they have should be introducing the "cheap" 256k cache X2

that's how amd is going to justify lower prices? i don't like the idea of a 256kb+256kb X2 and i hope their entire line doesn't go that way to compete with intel's lower prices. 512kb per core is alright but 256kb per core? i thought they were only discontinuing the 1mb+1mb models, i must not be keeping up enough. unless i see benchmarks showing that the performance hit is only minimal i feel the idea of a 256k/core chip is quite lame.

benbaked said:
that's how amd is going to justify lower prices? i don't like the idea of a 256kb+256kb X2 and i hope their entire line doesn't go that way to compete with intel's lower prices. 512kb per core is alright but 256kb per core? i thought they were only discontinuing the 1mb+1mb models, i must not be keeping up enough. unless i see benchmarks showing that the performance hit is only minimal i feel the idea of a 256k/core chip is quite lame.

it's only 1 model, the X2 3600+

as for cache size/performance, on amd it is about 1-2% loss from 1mb to 512k, and another 2-3% from 512k to 256k

i'll dig up a good article on it if you'd like

and if having that less cache cuts the price by more than 2-3%, i'm gettin one(or 2 if they work in '4x4' :D )

Molester said:
yeah, umm, that's mainly the NDA, I doubt you'll be able to get one then, I believe it won't be till mid to late august before you can press the checkout button at newegg...

You could have hit the checkout button at least one RR A rated vendor right when I posted that , check out the Intel section for more info ;)

greenmaji said:
You could have hit the checkout button at least one RR A rated vendor right when I posted that , check out the Intel section for more info ;)

and before the release date, yay, so 1 vendor got some, like others got ES's, dosn't matter, the mass of us can't get em, and have fun paying those prices too, oh, and most people do wait for the likes of newegg, ewiz, zzf, monarch, etc..., wtf is eastluna???

To be honest.. I did say within a week, because.. the NDA has been pulled up to the 14th (I for one wouldn't be buying at that time even, motherboard info is scetchy still)
eastluna usually sells quite a bit of console gameing gear early IIRC

the info was just to say its comming sooner then a month or so. and should influnce prices.

A certain member here ordered an X6800 from EastLuna...can't wait to hear from him as to what the outcome is/was. :D

well, yeah, the prices will be influenced on that date(sad we have to wait till then, you'd think they'd drop em now and move volume)

but my point stands on eastluna, even you say "IIRC", lol

and your point on mobo's is very valid, but has nothing to do with this thread...we should stop :beer:

this is OT but i just have to say:

OMFG Gautam, your avatar is KILLING me!

the other day, my GF was in the other room feeding the fish when i burst out laughing. she asked me what was so funny, and i tried explaining, but all i could do was repeat "HeadON! Apply Directly To The Forehead!!, HeadON! Apply Directly To The Forehead!!". :D

hay... mobo's do make sence.. more people will buy once there is more info. therefore it will be then that the chips will be more of a real competition.
I cant very well say get this mobo and this chip and you'll be set right now.

I have seen the DS light and other nentendo products for sale or listed first at eastluna :p

hUMANbEATbOX said:
this is OT but i just have to say:

OMFG Gautam, your avatar is KILLING me!

the other day, my GF was in the other room feeding the fish when i burst out laughing. she asked me what was so funny, and i tried explaining, but all i could do was repeat "HeadON! Apply Directly To The Forehead!!, HeadON! Apply Directly To The Forehead!!". :D

lol...I always get a good chuckle whenever I pop into that thread and see a whole screen full o head-on avatars of one kind or another. TBH the first time I saw the commercial, well before the ocforums craze, I burst out laughing as well.

Why not spread the joy and give it a place in your avatar as well? :D

And to make this post at least slightly relevant, I'll say that I know A64 completely CRUSHES Prescott in Matlab and Maple. I was stunned. The P4 I was using actually posted better superpi times by about a second and a half compared to the Opty, but in Matlab there was absolutely no contest. I wish I had an A64 on hand so that I could compare against Conroe. Of course, this was no scientific comparison anyways, just my observation...but take my word, it was extremely obvious. Opty 148 vrs P4 650 btw, both stock.

A64's have a tendency to be real strong in such mathematical applications at least from my experience. I'd also hazard a guess that they're quick in compilation. (As long as the compiler isn't Intel-optimized) In a situation like this, I could almost see Conroe being beaten by A64, a big maybe, on virtue of the A64's on die memory controller. It's just gotta have an Achilles heel, I just haven't found it yet. :p

Molester said:
it's only 1 model, the X2 3600+

as for cache size/performance, on amd it is about 1-2% loss from 1mb to 512k, and another 2-3% from 512k to 256k

i'll dig up a good article on it if you'd like

and if having that less cache cuts the price by more than 2-3%, i'm gettin one(or 2 if they work in '4x4' :D )

hmm, what kind of apps did those figures come from? if you have that article for my lazy self i'd appricate it, thanks :beer:

hUMANbEATbOX said:
and why is this in the AMD section? :beer:

I wondered the same thing. Then I sneezed on the keyboard and it magically moved the thread. Weird!

Back