• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

freezing on the cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright for a little while i have been throwing arround the idea of water cooling my old computer i just phased out. i want to hit 3.0Ghz on a tbred b 2400+...i could do 2.4Ghz (240x10) on air cooling. but i am not in the cash at the moment.

but i figered if i am gonna water cool i might as well go a little beyond, some people i know have old ac unit and other werid gadgets lying arroudn and i did a few searches and i came up with these?

http://webtronics.stores.yahoo.net/37wapemot.html
http://webtronics.stores.yahoo.net/66wapemot.html

seems like a good price but i know they are only 37 and 66 watt pelts. i could almost get away with air cooling them (you think i could?)
at the same time i am kinda in the dark about the whole insulation thing theres not difinitive write up for this sort of thing that i can find.
any way i donno, what do you guys think

The Tbred b had what kind of TDP?
Yes its in the AMD section burried DEEP in a sticky but I thought you might know since you have one.
My guess, the TEC's are underpowered for the job and will likely hurt temps.

Insulation, everyone seems to put there own twist on it.
conformal spray
clear fingernail polish
liquid E tape
DE grease
a few others, some use them all some only use a few of them (if not just coat everything in petrolem jelly :p )
all sorts of treatments. it depends on how low your temps are going to go as to how far you need to go with that.

i've also seen before a long long while ago, some one chilling a metal res and air cooling a tec, i am guessing it was low power like these and it wasnt getting the water very cold how ever it was probally cooler than tap water by a little bit.

i donno though some ideas come and go

whats happens when one of these things get too hot? just doesent do any thing or what?
and when your given specs like these how can you tell how cold it gets?
"·66W (~150 BTU) heat pumping possible. Max DT=67° @ 27°C TH. 7A max, 15V max, Draws 7A@ 12VDC. 1-9/16” x 1-9/16” x 3/16” "

i gather the more watts the hotter/colder it gets on its sides but roughly how cold would a 37 or 66 watt one get?

naaa.. they just get cooler as the cooling improves on the hot side, you still need a unit thats sized correctly even if your going to cool it with air.

if its not powerfull enough.. it will be like you not cooling you CPU at all (or worse heating it) :eek:

some of these new monster air coolers make me wonder what they could pull off with a TEC and a low TDP CPU sometimes :D

well i just ordered a ninja for my opteron, the cooler on it now is at 34 idle and 41 load at ~2.7Ghz 257x10.5.
it cools well and i am sure i can make it fit some how as long as it doesent **** me off

lol.. that would be one of the monster air coolers :p

Whats the TDP of that CPU?????
(yes an opteron wouldn't exactly be a low TDP CPU)
dont make me have to go look it up :p
wich would be hard considering I don't know wich one you have LOL :D

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=465886

thats my experiments with a 74 watt pelt - the cpu was p4 1.7 willi - i oced it to 2 gig put out about 63watts at 2 gig and 54/55 at 1.7

the psu s 2.5 amps both the normal and psu from comp kept it no lower that 33c at load overclocked.

thinking of mounting it accross the ram sinks/sleves and getting some use out of it that was - i dont know what ddr400 max temp is or ddr2 in the higher speeds but i would have thought it would be able to cool them well

re how cold at 74 watts 2.5 amps lowest i saw was 8c

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
lol.. that would be one of the monster air coolers :p

Whats the TDP of that CPU?????
(yes an opteron wouldn't exactly be a low TDP CPU)
dont make me have to go look it up :p
wich would be hard considering I don't know wich one you have LOL :D

i think your gonna have to because i have no clue.

i remember those funky little cards with the tec coolers on them.

still 33C is pretty good considering what its doing. i have a zalman copper flower cooler on the 2400+ now i am guessing if i rigged something up i could mate it to the tec and then use a thiner copper slab on the cpu side. only thing is i would have about use thermal epoxy on the heatsink and i would like to use it normal again if need be in the future. i havent gone and ordered any part yet its still kinda ina a planning phase so no worries.

Last edited:
Wich CPU are you considering doing this with and do you have any more info on it.. a Cpuz screeny or any such hints :D

eh, lemme go get the processor it self, the mobo and everything is still on the table, havent put it in any cases yet

i hope numbers work because if not i would have alot of putting together to do.

alright this processor reads...
AXDA2400DKV3C
AIUHB 0301 MPMW

thats off the processor top, if you need any more info like from cpuz it's gonna have to wait untill i can get it together.
the board i am gonna use is a DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity with a Thermalright NB1C on the north bridge. also has a zalman flower cooler all copper and i have an exra ALCU flower in a box., i also have a 2100+ in another system, the same as this just a 2100+ i might be able to get a cpuz screen of it tommorow.

i found a calculator thing to input the frequency and voltage and what not and it gave a wattage but i think it was power consumed watts.

it was 116watts consumed while over clocked, not exactly efficient

Now look at the TEC sticky and use your best judgment :p
I don't know if I want to go there :eek:

double up on the power of the TEC one in the 230+W range
and get a PSU that you can adjust the V...

Or do the calculation for 12V if you like..

yea i donno, its osmethign worth playing arround with.
116watts doesent seem right though seems quite high even for an overclock.

if it doesent work out quite like i had thought i could use it on a chiller (or buy a few and use on a chiller) or make something of my own or use it on a videocard or ram or something. i just want to play arround with it

Back