• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inquirer Got It Wrong As Usual: Reverse HT Don't Exist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, before you land yourself in the position you put Faud in, do note that there is no official word from AMD, and the fact he calls it reverse hypertransport, not hyperthreading, which is relevant because reverse hypertransport dosn't make any sense to begin with

hyperthreading, started by intel, was used to make 1 core look like 2 cores, RHT would be the opposite of that

hypertransport is a technology to send information, reverse would be....?

also, there is a thread disussing this, and this article has been noted..by me
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=465084

What about quantum threading? Where it tricks the program into thinking that the computer is actually in a different geometric space that can causes temperatures of -435K thus allowing your dual core processor to run at 9 times the speed of light allowing your computer to also act as a source of power for the entire planet.

soulfly1448 said:
What about quantum threading? Where it tricks the program into thinking that the computer is actually in a different geometric space that can causes temperatures of -435K thus allowing your dual core processor to run at 9 times the speed of light allowing your computer to also act as a source of power for the entire planet.

url?

ONTOPIC: we're going to need something like this for the future, its a major pain in the *** to code dual core programs and its even harder to do it right, we're going to need one of the following to make running anything above 4 cores useful:

- Something like reverse HT
- A low or high level language update or an entirely new language to program for dual core. Much like C++ was made to support the new trend of OOP we're going to need a new "C" for dual core.

searched google for a bit and came up with an interesting article to back up my claim (includes juicy unreal 2k7 details!):
http://www.devx.com/Intel/Article/31837?trk=DXRSS_LATEST

Last edited:
OMFG this topic:

image_3b96447a1033c9b954a7affdbdb8ac63.jpg

wasn't the original story about reverseHT about a guy overhearing something while drunk on a plane? am i even close? lol

Guys, let's try to keep the thread derailment to a minimum.
;)

Thanks. That is all.

Matt

That's a shame, it makes me debate the worth of Multi Core chips for the moment, especially since you can get solid single core chips for literally peanuts at the moment. Although the fact that some of the Dual Core chips will be priced in the 160 range maintains their level of intrigue.

Although all this is coming from someone who tries to squeeze every dime out of his wallet, I'm not the type to spend a couple hundred bucks for 5-10 extra FPS, I take more pride in how little I can spend while still gaming well.

It makes sense to have the proc polypsudothread a singletheaded app. But parallel threading goes back a long way. Multithreading is a pain to program as long as we continue to think in linear environments. C++ is a language tool as a hammer to to building. You don't have to change a framing hammer to tack sheeting just change the way you use it. I realize most here are not software developers but I'll explain why I think it's not necessary to burden hardware for something that can be done by a software engineer. Endcode/Decode movies would make a good example. It should be mutiproc aware. One thread handles decode while the other process the stream. Games use multiple engines dealing with game play, multiple physics functions, scoring, scene generation and detection. This could all be handed to the other threads. We did this kind of stuf on the Amiga in the late 1980s running a coprocessor to provide data manipulation and color shifting. Where the hardware will be able to help is prioritzing processor use to avoid today's windoes glitches that cause a game to skip/jump during background tasking.

Would just like to point out that the source of the story did not originate from The Inquirer they merely repeated it from another website.....

Back