• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking more of the P5P800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChRiZo

I've heard its got something like 3 circut things that decrease the acual voltage going towards the cpu.. I'm not sure. Basicly, anything above 1.5vcore is the same as 1.47 (preformance wise). Firstly, whats a vDroop? I've heard it gives more preformance. Secondly, is it hard? I'm running a 630 currently at 3.75ghz, max it'll go on this board is 4.2ghz and thats nowhere near stable. I want to hit around 4.5ghz for benchmarking, 4.0ghz for stability.

ChRiZo said:
I've heard its got something like 3 circut things that decrease the acual voltage going towards the cpu.. I'm not sure. Basicly, anything above 1.5vcore is the same as 1.47 (preformance wise). Firstly, whats a vDroop? I've heard it gives more preformance. Secondly, is it hard? I'm running a 630 currently at 3.75ghz, max it'll go on this board is 4.2ghz and thats nowhere near stable. I want to hit around 4.5ghz for benchmarking, 4.0ghz for stability.

Ok your talking about 3-phase CPU power regulation.

vDroop is this: Set vcore in bios at 1.5v. You boot up and run prim95, and vcore reads 1.43v. VDroop is a "droop" in voltage due to processor load.

A 'droop mod' can eliminate this effect. Modifying your boards power circuitry can cause serious damage or kill the board if done wrong, and should only be done by someone who is comfortable soldering small, sensitive electronics.

Here is the mod, there are many other guides out there so look around.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/motherboard/122

Isn't their a pencil mod? Where the lead is between to connectors on a chip next to the cpu?

ChRiZo said:
Isn't their a pencil mod? Where the lead is between to connectors on a chip next to the cpu?

Yes and it's a sticky at the top of this section. The original mod was for the P5WD2-E, but I believe it works on the P5P800 series aswell.

Thanks for the replies. I've now did it, and it seems to have worked as my load is 1.44vcore in prime (rather 1.42). I'm now going to bench and see what happens!

Back