• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Access to 134a in Canada?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

How would one access this gas for their phase change system in Canada? Can you just walk up to your local portable A/C repair shop and ask them to fill her up for you? Will it be hard to find a shop to fill your phase-change if they have no clue why you took it apart and want it filled with a particular type of gas (r134a)?

I have no experience with this, but my gut feeling is that they would look at me all funny thinking of what narcotic or illegal use I am planning to use the stuff. Maybe these feelings are because I am a total newbie at this refrigerant stuff.

From what I understand I couldn't get this right off the shelf in Canada, but it is possibly available in the US in autopart stores, etc. It is also important to state that I have no certifications, etc.

Xeon could answer this, but IR him saying you do need a cert. to get anything pretty much.. automotive refigerants are not availble at the department store like in the US.. the only refigerants would be propane and the canned air/freeze spray and taping it.

XeonStrikeForce said:
yup, to even buy a T fitting you must be licansed, only source for us is Propane, Iso-Butane, R-134a (Air duster cans) R152a (Air duster cans as well)

Thats it.

Please do not forget about Propylene (r1270) which can be bought in containers at Canadian Tire marked "Brazing fuel".

R1270 is an interesting gas and I think I am going to charge my next system with it and see how it goes. It has a lower boiling point that r290, r22, r507 and r404A (-48 vs. -42, -41, -46 and -46.6 respectively) but a lower molecular mass than all the other refrigerants other than propane so the final results should be interesting but should be competitive with r507a.

Oh and did I mention its cheap? Try $7 a bottle (should be able to get 2 charges out of it). :D

The only problems with Propylene is that like r290 it is flammable (this bothers some people) and it *could* require special POE oil instead of normal mineral oil. I am still not totally sure about the oil aspect of the gas but I will find out when I build my bench SS.

strange how the law in Canada is back fire ring on the government

instead of letting you buy safe to use gases they have forced you into the only stuff around explosive gas

i bet this was not there intention

I am clueless as to why they don't alow enviomently frendly refigerants to be sold actually :-/
That was the intention of the laws :eh?:

Back