• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is an artifact?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
benscoobert said:
What is an artifact?

scuse me if this sounds stupid, but as someone who is new to the scene i dont know what this means

an artifact is anything that isn't normal, say your playing a game, and some guys face glitches up, or walls have weird textures and may look stretched, or torn. Anything abnormal would be an artifact.

Weird stuff, I could take a screenie if you want, I have a messed up 7900GT, whenever I play de_aztec in CS 1.6 the rain hitting the ground turns into huge black squares.

Here's how i've always thought of it... White snow comes from the memory being pushed to hard whereas polygonal anomalies such as black triangles flickering, etc, have to do with the GPU core being pushed to hard (remedy can be more voltage ;))

I could be wrong though, thats mostly from my own deduction and experience.

with me everything thats a texture turns into green traingles that are spasing out all over the place.

and nvidia is green.

i wonder if they planed that.

twoeyes said:
Here's how i've always thought of it... White snow comes from the memory being pushed to hard whereas polygonal anomalies such as black triangles flickering, etc, have to do with the GPU core being pushed to hard (remedy can be more voltage ;))

I could be wrong though, thats mostly from my own deduction and experience.
That's what i go by too. Snow artifacts = VRAM is bad, polygonal artifacts = GPU core bad.

artifact

from my old 6800gs, my 7900 just has black squares and triangles pop up everywhere

Well, I have had an active RMA with eVGA for over 3 weeks, and still no word from them, I sent the the cross-shipping initiation form and then nothing, no e-mail, no deliveries, no video card...

Arca_ex said:
Well, I have had an active RMA with eVGA for over 3 weeks, and still no word from them, I sent the the cross-shipping initiation form and then nothing, no e-mail, no deliveries, no video card...
really?

i applied for one on the 5th when i saw they had updated cards, waited till yesterday and i called because it just kept saying rma approved and he said that they were shipping them out all this week, got home last night and had an email saying it shipped ups overnight, so im waiting on it now:santa:

also waiting on my HL2: episode1

just got it, came with the new card, a ups return label and the half life 2 card with the code on it

:)

Some people been waiting for 3months now, because eVGA is trying to eliminate bad cards out of circulation and send new fixed cards to people.

I need to send mine out as well, but they are so slammed with RMA's that its going to take longer then expected, so im going to wait.

must be something wrong with ARCA's because mine went through decently fast, im still waiting to install it because im downloading some stuff, but im going to put it in and see if it overclks at all

just apply for the crossshipping and wait till it comes to you, atleast you will be on a list

Back