• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

real world tests on the seagate 7200.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G2145

just finished up some moving and copying tests on a single 7200.10

6.75 GB dvd file folder copied to single 36 gb raptor 2 min 28 sec
4.99 GB ghost image moved to seagate from single raptor 2 min 2 sec
4.99 GB ghost image moved to raptor from seagate 1 min 38 sec

video encoding
AGK of the 6.75 GB revenge of the sith dvd to a 1.36 GB avi 1 hour 45 min

my dell duo core laptop did the same encoding in 1 hour 41 min
my current system with the 2x 36 gb raptors in raid0 did it in 1 hour 43 min

file copying and moving is blazing fast
i was expecting a big boost in the encoding, but then again if i get another one and raid it, i should see that boost...i guess it is fairly decent outcome, considering a 2 minute difference between a single seagate and a raptor array

Last edited:
update******

a 5.07 GB ghost image copied from my seagate raid0 to my wd raptor raid0 in 55 seconds....that kicks butt

Hi G

It seems like I'm the only one who got "crazy" result with 1.3 GB/sec burst transfer using Intel south bridge ICH7 DH SATA. (see my "Seagate 7200.10 250GB X 2 result on cheap Intel Matrix Raid setup" thread). And I speculate that your rig supposed to be better than my rig 945 vs 955 chipset.

Since you're just installed those two new 7200.10 hds and I assume they are not heavily populated, mind test Intel Matrix RAID ? :)

Of course you'll have to go through the trouble again re-creating the RAID 0 volume (make it smaller) and add another RAID 1 volume later.

It should be easy, from the BIOS (after you press the Ctrl-I button) in the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Option ROM screen, delete any RAID drive you've created there and re-create again but this time make it RAID 0 but not for the whole drive, say make it 80 GB (or what ever size you see fit) with 128K strip size. This will be your boot drives (C drive).
Re-boot again and install the OS or restore the your ghost image like you've done before.

About the rest of the unused HD space, you can create that for RAID 1 later from the Intel Matrix Storage Console program (download it from Intel site and install), or through the Intel RAID ROM BIOS again, it doesn't matter.

Fyi, my Intel RAID driver version is 6.0.0.1022.

Here how it looks like at my config 250GB X 2 with RAID 0 80GB and RAID 1 192GB :

Vol0.jpg

XP disk management screen :

PartitionSnapshot.jpg

-

Last edited:
i'll have to play with that when i get a chance....
i was able to create an array on the 2 raptors through the intel matrix program and disk management to format it

these seagates take raid to the next level....what am i going to do with almost 600 gigs of storage? i got em for the speed

file copying and moving is blazing fast
i was expecting a big boost in the encoding, but then again if i get another one and raid it, i should see that boost...i guess it is fairly decent outcome, considering a 2 minute difference between a single seagate and a raptor array
But your core duo did it in roughly the same amount of time with a 5400RPM drive (or a 7200RPM drive that performs in the same range as a 5400RPM...not sure what you have). I don't think you'll see a big encoding boost from better hard drives...it's usually processor/memory dependent.
say make it 80 GB (or what ever size you see fit) with 128K strip size.
People usually see the best real-world results with a 16k stripe size.

johan851 said:
People usually see the best real-world results with a 16k stripe size.

Yep, thanks for reminding, I'm very aware of that magic 16K number, but mine are set to 128K after alot of testing with different stripsize numbers on my Intel south bridge raid controller. Also these 128K number is recommended by Intel themself.

Your statement makes me wonder whether the 128K strip size that is causing my cheap Intel matrix raid 0 setup hit the crazy 1.3GB/sec burst speed from HDTach ?

-

regarding the same video encoding job, i am now equal with my duo core laptop at 1 hour and 41 minutes, going to raid cut 4 minutes off...not very significant, but still cool

laptop
2 ghz (T2500) duo core, 2 GB DDR2-533, 100 GB 7200 rpm sata

current desktop in sig

stock settings on previous desktop was
dfi lanparty 875p-t pentium 4 "640"
2x 36 gb raptors in raid0
1 gb ddr400 and that took over 2.5 hours to do the same video encoding job

overclocked to 4 ghz and ram at ddr500, it was down to 1 hour and 48 minutes

Back