• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have a minute? I need testers! (ATTN: Mac users)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I'm sorry to double post, but this was originally posted in the Programming forum. But I felt I needed to post here to reach many other users (especially Mac!)

Could you give my newly designed website a whirl? I'm looking for errors, problems, opinions (do you like the look? is there something you would change?).

I've tested the site for the newest versions of Firefox, IE, Opera, and Mozilla, but older versions and especially Mac browsers are on my priority list at the moment.

The site is here: www.philsproof.com/test

I am using a windows XP pc right now and it looks great. I likethe changes you made to it it looks great now.

I didn't see any text out of place nor anything that looks wrong.

ticktock123 said:
I am using a windows XP pc right now and it looks great. I likethe changes you made to it it looks great now.

I didn't see any text out of place nor anything that looks wrong.

Thanks ticktock! I must say, your comment about the header was very influential to this site. I feel that had I kept the header with the same, clean look, it would have been all wrong. It was weeks until I figured out that that was the problem behind why it didn't feel like it pulled together as well.

it doesn't look correct on safari (at least on the latest version for os x panther)

here is a screenshot, the browser in the background is camino and it looked fine on that. sorry i couldn't do both side by side, my ibook's resolution only goes up to 1024x768.

picture27sj.jpg

benbaked said:
it doesn't look correct on safari (at least on the latest version for os x panther)

here is a screenshot, the browser in the background is camino and it looked fine on that. sorry i couldn't do both side by side, my ibook's resolution only goes up to 1024x768.

picture27sj.jpg

*sigh*. I'm so tired atm, I just want to say "Screw you Mac people!" ;)

I will have to sit down and find out what CSS features are being crapped out by Safari (and without a Mac myself, that'll be difficult!)

What other browsers do Mac people use?

Frodo Baggins said:
*sigh*. I'm so tired atm, I just want to say "Screw you Mac people!" ;)

you could say that, or you could make your website compatible with safari.

both firefox and camino are good browsers for the mac, firefox probably the more common of the two. safari is of course the most popular browser for os x. i believe it is based off of konqueror, might check that one too. and then there is internet explorer for the mac, hasn't been updated in three years but some people may still use it unfortunately.

benbaked said:
you could say that, or you could make your website compatible with safari.

both firefox and camino are good browsers for the mac, firefox probably the more common of the two. safari is of course the most popular browser for os x. i believe it is based off of konqueror, might check that one too. and then there is internet explorer for the mac, hasn't been updated in three years but some people may still use it unfortunately.

And I assume there is no way to emulate or test Safari compatibility on my Windows XP machine?

I mean, an easy way. I don't want to emulate the whole Mac OS X.

Benbaked, can you get me a screenshot of Safari on the About page? It would help me narrow down the problem.

Last edited:
possibly, with PearPC and a set of OS X 10.3 install discs you can install OS X into a VM. it is incredibly slow but it will do the job and you can network it using OpenVPN.

here's the screenshot:

picture34ey.jpg

Last edited:
that's all that is there. typing "about:" in the address bar displays nothing.

I personally do not think you can get a site correct these days in all browsers, evidence of this can be seen in how browsers handle the acid2 test personally I build towards open standards if the site looks acceptable in Amaya the we browser created by the W3C to the approved standards then I am happy.
I will not build sites to suit specific browsers, its not worth the time and effort imho

benbaked said:

Hmm...not good. Are the borders rendering correctly for the About page? I assume so. I had wish the About page displayed the same problems as the other pages (on Safari) -- then I'd know where abouts the error may be. Right now, I have no idea.

UnseenMenace said:
I personally do not think you can get a site correct these days in all browsers, evidence of this can be seen in how browsers handle the acid2 test personally I build towards open standards if the site looks acceptable in Amaya the we browser created by the W3C to the approved standards then I am happy.
I will not build sites to suit specific browsers, its not worth the time and effort imho

Thanks Unseen, that was very helpful. Maybe you're right. By any chance, does anybody know what approximate number of Mac users use Safari? So far, I have confirmed compatability with IE, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, and Camino. That's a pretty broad range, anyways.

I will download the Amaya browser and see how it works on my site :)

All's I can say is everything's looking good on Firefox 1.5.0.4, 1024x768. And like UnseenMenace said, I think that if it conforms to W3C, that's all the test should be enough, though unfortunately it isn't.

Good-looking page, btw, clean uncluttered design. Only criticism I'd make is I don't like the color of the spilled coffee by the cup (not the stains by the pen), doesn't look quite right. Then again I prefer my coffee italian or turkish, that is to say black as a pirate's heart :eek:

Back