• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Viewsonic doesn't look that great.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

I am running a GeForce FX5700 video card. Windows Vista. Bought a Viewsonic 20.1" VX2025 off of Newegg.

It won't run in DVI mode. I login, and the monitor says "Out of Range". 640x480 "Safe Mode" resolution doesn't work as well.

I use VGA, and it pretty much looks like crap but works. Choppy, etc. Am able to reach 1600x900 resolution. 1680x1050 doesn't span the monitor correctly. Text is blocky. Just not great looking.

Got the Nvidia Vista drivers installed and working. Attempted to install the Viewsonic drivers, but the monitor is still shown as a "Generic PnP".

Any ideas?

just from it saying out of range means that the resolution and or the refresh rate is too high or too low. look into it. take another monitor and put it to some res that is suitable and 60 hertz to start out with.

tech2487 said:
just from it saying out of range means that the resolution and or the refresh rate is too high or too low. look into it. take another monitor and put it to some res that is suitable and 60 hertz to start out with.

I had another 20" Viewsonic (older model) worked great. Couldn't get the resolution dialed in at 1680x1050 (did 1680x1024 best) but it was at least crisper and clearer.

Its set to 1600x900 on the resolution, and it works in VGA, and its set to 60hZ. Not sure... :(

Have you tried adding in a custom resolution in the driver panel?

untitled4li3.jpg

Again... I see you have a lower end Geforce.... nearly every person I have seen with a DVI issue on this monitor is using either a lower end Nvidia or a lower end ATI. I don't think this is just a coincidence that every post I see about a DVI issue the person is using a lower end card. I have checked this forum, and other forums for the issue before buying this monitor, and at that time, and still at this time the issue seems to be occurring in lower end cards. Bleh... perhaps its just my mind going, but I know of at least 12 incidents where the DVI issue occurred in the lower end cards, and I have yet to see a DVI issue in the newer/modern cards.

regardless, the product should still work whether or not your video card is old when every other monitor performs flawlessly ;) IMHO you need to get those monitor drivers to work, you'll have a much easier time then. I believe your refresh rate needs to be clocked down to 60hz on the high res to get it to work.

Suggest that you make backups. I ended up with a non recoverable BSOD on Win2K. After the format/reinstall I am running at 1680x1050 Analog. Looks fine. Still can't get DVI to work though. This is with a 5500. I switched fonts to Ariel as some of the defaults looked bad.

Edit: Be very careful with the drivers from the Viewsonic CD. They are crap.

Let me be the first to tell

that I couldn't make this monitor run in DVI mode with recent 7800gs card, although it worked fine in VGA mode, I really wanted to keep this monitor but this has really discouraged me, other monitor I bought from futureshop LG203wt works fine in DVI mode so I don't know, maybe viewsonic does have real problem on some of the systems!!

Has to be some kind of timing issue I'd say. In any case the end user shouldn't have to deal with it.

I replaced the video card, and it works great now.

The new video card is a ATi Radeon 9550. Not great, but it works for what I need it to.

I think the FX5600 wasn't really working with Windows Vista, and neither were the ****ty Nvidia drivers.

Try running your resolutions at 1680x1050 instead of 1600x1200. You should notice a drastic improvement

I'd blame Vista and/or the video card. I dropped a 7800GS in my system and installed the VX2025WM the same day and everything just worked, DVI all resolutions available. But I'm running XP.

Back