• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with wire trick for celeron 1.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buduglee

Registered
I've searched the boards and hard ocp, etc but most info.
applies to the 1.1 and below cpu's.I assume the vid pin layout is different for the 1.2celeron.I found the 1.2 data sheets
but it doesn't show where the vid pins are nor do I know which ones to connect.
Can someone point me to a guide for the 1.2 celeron.
I would be using this for the abit st6.
Thanks

Here are some pics from page 60 of the data sheets.
If you have a ST6 this is what I did to get all vcores between 1.05v~1.825v. You need page 21 also.

The bottom pic is what I did to my ST6. If you have a different board then you will have to figure out what you need to do. The red line is connecting all the pins while the blue dot is a disabled pin. Ironically it isn't even there anymore. You can cover them very carefully with nail polish and it should still fit in the hole while accomplishing the same thing.

ol'man,
Thanks for your quick response but i'm a little confused.
Does the copper wire connect vid0,vid25m andvid3?
What do you do with vid1(blue dot)?
Please forgive my slowness but this is a totally new o/c
trick for me and yes it is for a st6.
Thanks again,
Steve

Well this is how I got my ST6 to hit the vcores mentioned. The blue dot represents a disabled pin. If you were really nutz like me you would take a needle nose and pull that pin right out(actually I bent it out on accident) but none the less it still isn't there. Like I said above you can accomplish the same thing by coating very carefully that same pin with nail polish. I use a retractible pencil and dip the end in black nail polish so I can see what I missed for the next coat. After dipping the pen in the black polish you then go right over top of the pin and youmay have to slide it up and down a couple of times to get it too coat evenly but it worked for my tualatin chip. After I was done it would still fit in the board which is neccesary. First though I would try to up your default to 1.675v. I think in the end it will give you 1.8v and not the 1.825v like I have. To accomplish this you simply connect vid1 with vid2. Maybe you will only need 1.8v. That would be nice but I needed all of 1.825 to get mine to go. Some are lucky and only need I guess 1.5v. Hard to believe but hey what can you say? Don;t break anything permanently now.

So no matter what, you'll have to "nail polish" VID1?
On my CUSL2 I own now I have 2 pins connected and that's it. I just put a copper wire in the holes of the socket.
Guess I can do this with the 3 for the T-celly...

ol'man,

Just to confirm.....if I just need 1.8 all I need to do is set my mobo
voltage to 1.675 and connect vid1 and vid2.

I don't need to connect vid 3 or vid25m in any way.

Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Steve

buduglee said:
ol'man,

Just to confirm.....if I just need 1.8 all I need to do is set my mobo
voltage to 1.675 and connect vid1 and vid2.

That's all I did, connect vid1 and vid2 and got the default. the reality was that without excellent cooling, I wasn't hitting above 1.5ghz anyway so voltages over 1.80 were excessive.

I personally wouldn't use nail polish, too girlie ;) but the wire trick works and is relatively easy. Just be sure that the wire is wound tight, I hooked one end to vid1 and used needlenose to pull the wrapped wire snug, this prevents stray copper from hitting the adjacent pins.

No you don't have to nail polish vid1, it is just that if you wanted to disable it you could get more vcores from it that is all. Other wise with the ST6 you are stuck at 1.8 as the top vcores. That is plenty for some I guess. I shouldn't have been one of the first to get a chip. Seems everyone else is getting better ones than I. Philiipine chips are the best also seemingly. Should have waited to see where the best ones came from.

O yeah nail polish is for wussies. Use something more permanent like superglue or epoxy;) Shi# maybe just rip it out with a pliers. That is if you are so inclined.

Thanks ol'man and pinky.....
I've been looking at the data sheets and ol'mans 'graph'
and I think I finally get it. Oh well, It's been a long week ...........
Thanks again,

Steve

ol' man said:

O yeah nail polish is for wussies. Use something more permanent like superglue or epoxy;) Shi# maybe just rip it out with a pliers. That is if you are so inclined.

Now you've gone from manicurist to dentist :p

I fear mine is like yours... requires too much voltage and/or too much cooling to get to 1.6ghz (which seems to be a magical plateau for these chips)...

Maybe with my new cooling aparatus coming I will be able to reach my 1.6 goal. I'll let you know...

Some questions.. What happens if you were to slack off abit and spread the nail polish on to another pin would you be able to take it off with the nail polish remover..

(Girl talk hahahaha)

Anyways..

So you would connect vid0-2-3 together with nail polish..

And Vid 1 would be pulled out.. Slow day.. Slow me.. weeee

Yodums said:
Some questions.. What happens if you were to slack off abit and spread the nail polish on to another pin would you be able to take it off with the nail polish remover..

(Girl talk hahahaha)

Anyways..

So you would connect vid0-2-3 together with nail polish..

And Vid 1 would be pulled out.. Slow day.. Slow me.. weeee

Nah as a chemist I would take it off with the acetone I have laying around;) Nail polish remover has some other crap in it like ethyl acetate or some shi#. In reality I would probably just scrape the excess off I got on the other pins with a razor blade. SHi# mang, shi# ain't that hard:D

And no man you connect vid0,vid3,vid 25 and cover vid1 to get all vcores through 1.825. There may be a better way too you know. I haven't the time to figure it out but I think the lowest you couyld go is 1.7v for defualt if you wanted all vcores. You got the time to figure it then go ahead man. I am just here to get the ball rolling. It is kinda like asking a bank teller for chnge back in pennies, nickels, and dimes. You can have many different combos but in the end as long as you end up at the same number all is well right;) If you can figure out a way to get 1.7v as defualt with the st6 thebn you will hit 1.825v also!

ol' man said:

Nah as a chemist I would take it off with the acetone I have laying around;) Nail polish remover has some other crap in it like ethyl acetate or some shi#. In reality I would probably just scrape the excess off I got on the other pins with a razor blade. SHi# mang, shi# ain't that hard:D

And no man you connect vid0,vid3,vid 25 and cover vid1 to get all vcores through 1.825. There may be a better way too you know. I haven't the time to figure it out but I think the lowest you couyld go is 1.7v for defualt if you wanted all vcores. You got the time to figure it then go ahead man. I am just here to get the ball rolling. It is kinda like asking a bank teller for chnge back in pennies, nickels, and dimes. You can have many different combos but in the end as long as you end up at the same number all is well right;) If you can figure out a way to get 1.7v as defualt with the st6 thebn you will hit 1.825v also!

Thanks for the explanationhehehehehe

ok so im a little confused.. never understood wire wrapping before ;) .. i take a thin piece of copper wire wrap vid 0, then continue with the string of wire and wrap vid25, and continue and wrap vid 3? so in effect the entire 3 pins are wrapped with *1* wire?

ol' man said:
Here are some pics from page 60 of the data sheets.
If you have a ST6 this is what I did to get all vcores between 1.05v~1.825v. You need page 21 also.

The bottom pic is what I did to my ST6. If you have a different board then you will have to figure out what you need to do. The red line is connecting all the pins while the blue dot is a disabled pin. Ironically it isn't even there anymore. You can cover them very carefully with nail polish and it should still fit in the hole while accomplishing the same thing.

Actually I simply made a U with the wire and put them in the sockets holes. Seems to be the best way without having your CPU possibly sideways. I think they had a section here at OC.com about it if you looked here for it. Goto their first page.

edit...

Hey I forgot what board you have. Different boards require different wire wraps. If you have the asus board you will get 1.825 as your final vcore if you connect vid 1 and vid 2 but with the st6 you can connect the same vid 1 and vid2 to get to 1.8v. If you want higher then you will use the other method I spoke of above. The reason is becuase the st6 only goes .125v over defualt vcore. In essence then you make it 1.675v instead of of 1.475. Then you can hit 1.8v with it. The asus with 1010 bios will let you get to 1.825 with a default vcore of 1.675v cause it goes .2v over default what ever that may be. Understand?

You must be very careful with this though as I am sure I don;t have to explain;)

Last edited:
i have an ST6... so all is good :) thanks

ol' man said:
Actually I simply made a U with the wire and put them in the sockets holes. Seems to be the best way without having your CPU possibly sideways. I think they had a section here at OC.com about it if you looked here for it. Goto their first page.

edit...

Hey I forgot what board you have. Different boards require different wire wraps. If you have the asus board you will get 1.825 as your final vcore if you connect vid 1 and vid 2 but with the st6 you can connect the same vid 1 and vid2 to get to 1.8v. If you want higher then you will use the other method I spoke of above. The reason is becuase the st6 only goes .125v over defualt vcore. In essence then you make it 1.675v instead of of 1.475. Then you can hit 1.8v with it. The asus with 1010 bios will let you get to 1.825 with a default vcore of 1.675v cause it goes .2v over default what ever that may be. Understand?

You must be very careful with this though as I am sure I don;t have to explain;)

Help

Hi all,
I have ABIT ST6 and Celeron 800@1200 Mhz , the Vcore is set to 1.825V. So... i boot at 1280Mhz but its not stable. Can i do some wire trick to raise a little bit more Vcore?:)

10x in advance:)

Re: Help

Fireman_BG said:
Hi all,
I have ABIT ST6 and Celeron 800@1200 Mhz , the Vcore is set to 1.825V. So... i boot at 1280Mhz but its not stable. Can i do some wire trick to raise a little bit more Vcore?:)

None that I know of. The vrm 8.5 only allows 1.825v as the max vcore for any chip no matter what it is. Maybe someone else can offer you some help on that.

Re: Help

Fireman_BG said:
Hi all,

I had the same issue with the VH6T and a P3 1GHZ chip I had... The only way to run faster without increasing the voltage (which I'm in agreement with ol'man that there are no further mods to increase) is to lower running temperatures.

Back