• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT54G vs Speedbooster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

What's the difference and which do I want? I've had it with this D-Link USB Adapter and this Belkin Crap Router. They both overheat and I'm sick of it.

It really comes down to how much are you willing to spend... for $20 dollars extra I don't know how much of a speed difference you will see.

I do recommend the WRT54g, either with or without the speedboost... I've had mine for more than a year now and I am more than happy with it.

I know its good, its gotta be better than the crap I have. Are you running wireless b or g? Also what adapter are you using PCI or USB? Make and model too

WRT54G is not good anymore. Not since january when v5 of it came out: half the RAM, half the flash rom.

Get a V.4 of the WRT54G or GS. Another I'd recomend is the GL whichj is the linux version. Those have more ram, and are the best of the best.

hmmm i have ver2 of the linksys and all i can say is ... it sux ... i gave up on wireless altogether

i kept loosing signal from across the room (approx 14') w/ my wireless adapter (d-link dwl-g120) above and in direct line of sight from my router but i could see 2 other routers in the vacinity, eneded up going wired w/ (much to my chagrin) a 50' cable running thru the house to my other computer ....

now physically connected its been bomb proof

tried drivers, bios', windows wireless management, d-links wireles management, both ... nothing seemed to work

basically I need something that I can find retail. Compusa, Circuit City or best buy. I need something that has bullproof wireless and can keep a connection unlike the POS setup I'm using now

All the stores are using version 6 now. They work good as a nice home based router and wireless router. But dont expect toget anything more then a normal home networking gateway/router out of it. The new versions are very solid albiet very dummied down. Also circiut city has them for $50.

Any of those so called consumer "routers" are a crapshot. One of them works, the next doesn't, the third craps out every week at least once, etc

Short answer: neither. Linksys has severly crippled the newer WRT54G routers with the new firmware and a reduction in RAM. However, look at the WRT54GL - the L stands for Linux, and this is the fully-functioning router that you're looking for. This is the one that you can flash to third-party firmware to get the most out of your network. I have one with the HyperWRT firmware, and I couldn't be happier. This router handles all of my network traffic and has never crapped out on me once (not even under heavy BT traffic).

deception``

deception`` said:
Short answer: neither. Linksys has severly crippled the newer WRT54G routers with the new firmware and a reduction in RAM. However, look at the WRT54GL - the L stands for Linux, and this is the fully-functioning router that you're looking for. This is the one that you can flash to third-party firmware to get the most out of your network. I have one with the HyperWRT firmware, and I couldn't be happier. This router handles all of my network traffic and has never crapped out on me once (not even under heavy BT traffic).

deception``

are the gs' crippled now too? when i bought mine (year ago) the gs's were the hot setup. i got mine running like a champ on DD-WRT firmware and no complaints.

The_Jizzler said:
are the gs' crippled now too? when i bought mine (year ago) the gs's were the hot setup. i got mine running like a champ on DD-WRT firmware and no complaints.

I believe the newer ones are. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure that my router still has more memory on it (but I could be off here).

I've been using Thibor's blend of HyperWRT 15c - an extremely solid firmware. I've used his updates exclusively for quite some time now.

deception``

I've got a WRT54GS with HyperWRT firmware and it's been great. Doesn't ever cut out, never a single problem. Best wireless router i've ever been connected to. Pretty much any other one i've been on for extended periods of time has cut out or had random slowdowns and what not, but not this one. Just thought i would share my experience :thup:

Edit: Using my laptop (Intel 3945 ABG).

Last edited:
I bought a D-Link 624. I've always had great luck with D-Link products. I get 100% signal strength at 50ft through 3 walls.

A WRT54GL with alt firmware (I use dd-wrt) is the best router you can get for the money IMO. Slapping DD-wrt on there was super easy, and it works fantastic with it. Not that I was particularily unhappy with it stock, it worked well then too.

Ended up getting the GS and a WUSB54GSC, they both work perfectly. 54Mbps constant, never seen it drop below that

Back