• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this ok...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiNole

Registered
...for an entry level water cooling system???
Since I am buying $50 air coolers left and right I might as well take the plunge.
I am just looking to get my feet wet and then learn as I go and then get into it heavier later on. Anything you would add, leave off....if so, why?
Thanks for any help.

CPU Water Block: Danger Den MAZE4
Fitting Size: 1/2 OD High Flow Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing
Radiator: Black Ice Pro - Black
Pumps: !NEW! Danger Den 12V MAG-II LE Pump with 1/2 OD Fittings
Tubing: 7 Feet of Clearflex
Reservoir: Danger Den HDPE Reservoir
Water Additives: 4oz Zerex Super Coolant
Danger Den Fillport: None
Fillport Reservoir: None
Misc: 12 Hose Clamps Y & T

Hmm.. What are your temps now?

If your looking to get a real cheap setup, just to get your feet wet (hehe), then i would get rid of the water additices and use about 10-20% mixture of anti-freeze and 5 drops of non alchoholic iodine instead. Also, if its your first setup, a lot of people recomend smaller tubing as 1/2 is hard to work with for your first time around. Make sure you get a fan for that rad, the pro's work better with high CFM fans (if i remember correctly, someone correct me if im wrong) The only thing i would do differetnly is.. if your planning on building it up better later on, i would buy the d5 with the money you saved from the addicive. To me, the performance difference between the mag2 and the d5 is worth the extra 35$ because you wont have to upgrade it later on. But, if your planning on keeping this setup and want it to be cheap, the mag2 is a good choice.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the quick response Hitby.
I will be cooling the 805D listed below...only on a new motherboard. My temps are a little high right now with good air cooling. Dual load @ 59-63 and Idle @ 39-41 depending on ambient with a Ninja.
I will most definately be going higher end later on. No matter what I say now....in the end I will not be able to control myself. :)
The D5...ok I'll think about it. I notice the D-5 has a molex connector...does the MAG2 also have one?...can't tell from the pic I have.
Is 7ft of tubing enough?...only doing the CPU for now and it's going in one of the big old style Chieftec/chenning/Antec 1040B case.

Anyone have any other thoughts before I pull the trigger on this tomorrow night?

Last edited:
The pros actually are able to work to full potential with a lower CFM fan. The Extremes require a high CFM fan.

I really recommend the Scythe SFLex SFF21F They are $13 and push 60CFM while being VERY quiet.

Your setup looks good for the first time. I think that 1/2" tubing will be fine, that clearflex bends pretty well. Unless you have a REALLY cramped case that's going to require serious bends, then you might go 3/8" ....But I'll bet that 1/2" will work fine for you.
As for your radiator I'd only recommend a Black Ice Pro II. But that's only if you will have room for it. If not then you'll be ok with the single. But the II will give you some headroom and make your idle/load temps a little closer. It will also make you a little more futureproof as it could handle a GPU block if you wanted to add one in the future. And if your putting it on your 805D you might want to go with the II since those things are HOT. And expecially if you want to try for 4Ghz with the 805

I'd say that for the Maze 4 block, that should be ok, I would recommend that if you can spend an extra $15 then get a Swiftech Apogee. But if you are pretty tight on cash then the amze4 will probably work fine for you.

Good luck on your first build! Make sure you get all of the loop together and run it away from your computer parts to test leaks. (Just hook your pSU up to the pump and take the PSU's ATX connector (The 20/24 pin connector) and connect Pins 13 and 14 to start the PSU independantly of the motherboard. here's a site that give pics on that: http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah about the pump...I agree that the D5 is a much stronger pump. So again, if you can afford the Extra money right now, that'll be a more future proof way to go. Because with that Mag, it might not have enough power to properly push through a loop with CPU and GPU

7ft is fine. Drop the additive, use distilled water and 5% antifreeze.

DROP THE BLOCK. the maze4 is a terrible CPU block AFAIK. If you need a cheap block, the DTek Customs White-Water can be had for $30 brand new straight from their site. It fits almost all platforms, and cools MUCH better than the maze4 (and it beats the tdx and rbx as well).

I think the mag2 would suit a loop with a BIP, WW and little tubing. Though I'd get the D5 for future upgrades.

Also, prkdcar: the BIP is the thinner rad. they're good for quiet fans (like yate loons). the BIX is the thick one that is only good with high pressure and flow fans.

Ok...I'm going with the Whitewater and the D5.
Question...I am worried about space...can I just go with the Pro instead of the Pro II with the block and pump I am getting?
Also...does the radiator come with the fittings?

You all have been lots of help...Thanks!!!

The pro should be OK for you now. If you plan on upgrading in the future (as in adding a GPU block or something) you'll want to upgrade. But for now, it should work fine for you.

Thanks jive and snake for correcting me :) I thought i had it backwards...

WINole - the rads come with the fittings on them. As for space, the rad can always be mounted somewhere outside of the case, it doesnt have to be inside of the case. Post some pictures up of your case and well tell you if it will be able to fit

As far as the case, it's your basic old style 1040B II server case design from Antec/Chemming/Cheiftec. Very popular 4 years ago....they weigh a ton. Can't bring myself to get rid of it.
Anyway...I am going to try and post a pic. This isn't my actual case but it's the same as mine. If the pic doesn't come through, give me a minute and I'll try and fix it.
We have an 19 month old and she can get into most any place so I'd rather have everything inside the case.

1040b ii.jpg

Hmm you can mount it on the back where one of the fans are. Or, since you dont need that bottom harddrive rack since you only have 2 drives, so you could always either screw that out (if it has screws) or cut it out with a dremmel (make sure you have plenty of discs!) Then you can mount it down there. If you dont feel like cutting that part out, you could even get away with mounting it on the bottom of the case. (Im assuming its a 120x1 rad). Or if you dont like any of those you could cut out a box on the top of your case, drill some holes, and mount it up there (i did that to my 120x3). If theres a will, theres a way :)

Back