• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help, question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonjoey

hi, im kinda new here at overclockers.com but i have been overclocking ever since the k5 amd came out. I just have a little problem on my system.

I have a abit kg7 non raid, locked athlon 1.33ghz xp, 256mb samsung ddr and ati radeon ve. overclocked to 1.4 (10x145) right now with 1.8 core , 3.5 i/o, 2.65 ddr voltages. the ati is overclocked to 171mhz and the ram is set to normal under bios settings. it is pretty stable at these settings, now the questions:

1. if i set the fsb to 150mhz (10x150mhz) and set the core v to 1.85 and set the ram to auto under bios settings, the system is still stable but my score under 3dmark2001 will go down about 500 points, and even in 3dmark2000 too. why?

2. If i leave the ram setting to normal, fast, turbo or ultra. the system will not boot or it will boot but freeze if the fsb of the cpu is more than 140mhz. why?

3. if i set the ati to more than 171mhz, the screen will show those ugly lines. is the radeon too hot?

4. core voltage can only set to 1.85 (highest) is there anyway to modify this to make it higher?

i dont worry about cooling since my highest cpu temp full load is around 50-55 C.

any suggestions? any help is appreciated

thanks

bonjoey:)

1: That will happen in any system if you go beyond what is reliable. I'd guess that its because the CPU has to redo work because of problems caused by the overclock.

2: Because your ram can't handle the higher speed in cas2 or your mobo has problems but more than likely its the memory.

3. I don't know but I'd guess that it may need better cooling.

4: Sure, there are always mods. But if you don't know how to solder or don't want to try then forget about it. Unless there is something that you can do with that board that I'm not aware of.

Welcome to the forums! I am not the most knowledgeable at this stuff, but here's my take on your questions:
#1 I have no clue.
#2 when the FSB goes up the memory bus goes up as well: if the memory is tweaked as far as it goes and then you crank the fsb up some more, WHAM! Memory is now unable to keep up- pc don't work.
#3 I would say its too hot and/ or overclocked just a BIT higher than it will take.
#4 as stated in the above post- there is a voltage mod for that board- I don't know details as I haven't done it, but it is possible.

Another couple of words: My rigs all start getting unstable around 50c; You might try to get those temps down to mid 40s before voltmodding or anything to get more out of it. If the rig is stable you must be ok, but......

Stable to me means (among other things) when I go out of town for 2 weeks for work, none of my computers crash. Not even once.

Hmm, do you count stability as two weeks of no one touching it, or it getting six hours plus of internet usage and online gaming a day with no problem??

Having a super long run of sandras burn ins is nice too, but I like a long stretch of 'AstronMike normal usage' as my barometer. And Im still over 50* no matter what I do.

For stability I do Prime95 or seti or folding and then internetting and networking etc etc whilst running prime95 or seti or folding and then if it still works and boots correctly at a higher speed the its good!!

I gave a small part of my requirements for stability above, but here's my list:
1 Doesn't crash when being used: run games, Frontpage, system utilities, whatever. I periodically do the Sandra burn-in loop 50x to check.
2 No crash when not being rebooted every few days (win9x especially)
3 very few apps. end unexpectedly: few faults/errors, etc. I do allow a FEW of these a week, as software conflicts ( or buggy code) from betas/ freeware etc., can happen, especially in an MS Windows os.

I pretty much expect my rigs to be as stable as a mission-critical server (except when I am tweaking something.)

All of them have to be logged in to run, so I know if they crash.
All of them run SETI 24/7 and 3 Fold as well......so they are under 100% load at all times.
As I said before, work takes me out of town frequently and sometimes for weeks at a time- noone is home to keep the rigs running so they have to do it themselves- ET never sleeps!

Back