• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please tell me my Power Supply didnt die...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheReds

Registered
Hey guys, just got a black stacker 830, amazing case. To make a long story short, after moving my old system over my computer wouldnt post. So i checked the switches, i checked all the power connections, checked everything, reset the bios a couple of times, and still the computer wouldnt post.

Next i was messing around thinking about what it could be and i flicked off the PS power switch (everything is still connected), then i flicked it back on and the whole computer turned on as well.....???......i didnt touch the power button.

Next i was messing around some more, after reseting the bios i pressed my power button and out of the corner of my eye i saw some sort of flash, and it all went dead. Now i can not turn it on at all, nothing, just dead. Did my power supply finally die??????

power supply is: Enermax Noistaker EG475P-VE

system: MSI neo2 Platinum, amd64 3800+ newcastle, NV 7800GS, audigy 2 ZS, WD250 gb harddrive, 2 optical drives, and 2 fans

please help if you can :(

peace

Ah. The dreaded flash. I had something similar happen once. All I did was unplug it from the wall, flip the switch on the back, and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes. I plugged it back in, hit the switch, and it worked again.

Alright, just got back from a tournament and i am ready to mess with the power supply. yessssss. Ill try the unplug and let it sit trick.

Also, i forgot to mention, i did do some mods to my case, which did leave aluminum filings all over the place. I however spent like a hour shop vacing it and making sure everything was out, could it have possibly shorted something? is there someway i could figure if thats what happened or am i just screwed now?

.....wow wow wow, could my other components have been fried also :eek:

thanks guys for the help

I unplugged it and switched it off for about an hour then tried it again and it still didnt work. So im thinking it might be dead. Is there any other way to assure this without paying for a power supply tester?

Unplug your power supply from all your components except a fan. Take your ATX connector and short the green wire to a black wire. This will turn your PSU on, if it still works. If the fan spins, your PSU works and you might still have wired it up wrong in the system, or you blew all your other components. Pick which case makes you feel better =)

Roofles said:
Unplug your power supply from all your components except a fan. Take your ATX connector and short the green wire to a black wire. This will turn your PSU on, if it still works. If the fan spins, your PSU works and you might still have wired it up wrong in the system, or you blew all your other components. Pick which case makes you feel better =)

alright, did that and it still didnt start, so i am going to assume that my power supply did die. I am ordering an ocz gamerXstream 700w today from newegg. Hopefully this will bring my baby back to life :) . Are there any last tests you guys recommend before i press the order button?

thanks guys, peace

The only thing I'd recommend is not that OCZ gamerXstream powersupply.

Save some money and get a PowerStream 520w or something. It's always a good idea to stick with stuff that's been tried and tested. If you're looking for quiet, get a Seasonic S12.

Back