• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vx2025

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andreal

Registered
Hi all, im looking at buying a Viewsonic VX2025WM and was wondering if its a good choice for some1 who will do all their uni work on it and enjoys playing games whenever he gets the chance :) . I ask because a while ago I was hearing lots of good things and now I am hearing some not so good things. It one of the only widescreen monitors I can get here in New Zealand, but i dont wanna waste money on something that isnt going to be all I want it to be. It has a 8ms responce time which I thought was pretty good, but then further investigation tells me thats its 8ms grey to grey and 16ms black to white, is that stil good? The contrast ratio of 800:1 seemed pretty good, but now i see monitors with 1000:1 and stuff and I begin to wonder if 800:1 is good enough. I am very new to monitors and have read what most this stuff means but its very hard to see some numbers and be able to make judgements just on knowing what they mean and not what they look like. Any help would be very greatly appreciated:) .

Have a modern Nvidia video card? Go for it. Seems to be a DVI issue on the VS with low end nvidia cards.

I have one. I do not game.

Pros:
- No dead pixels.
- Runs at 1680x1050 on EVGA 5500. Analog only.
- No blurring, etc in what I do.
- I was able to get everything to look good by changing font type and size.

Cons:
- Be afraid, very afraid, of the drivers on the CD. I got an unrecoverable BSOD. Formatting is good for the soul?
- I have issues with full/recommended resolution when using the DVI port. Can't go above 1280x1024. Could be the video card.
- Some fonts look bad. Times New Roman and the default Windoze fonts come to mind. Easy to fix though. Try Arial.
- The colors are a bit off although I only noticed it when I was running side by side with a good quality CRT.
- No height adjustment. I use a phone book.

When I said modern nvidia I meant 6800 and up... it seems the 5xxx cards have some issues with the DVI on this monitor. Im using a 7800GT and know people who run the monitor on 6800GTs and they have 0 problems. I wouldn't get it if you have anything less than a 6800GT but thats understandable in the first place.... you get a monitor that runs a 1680x1050 and expect to game on full detail using 5xxxx card? Lol no way. But like I said... iv been following the DVI issue alot, and it seems anything lower than the 6xxxx series is having troubles with the DVI. I wouldn't recommend you get it unless you have a 6800 or the ATI equivalent to the 6800.

Ah thanx for the replys guys, I currently run a 7600GT, would this be enough to run games at 1680x1050? I am thinking of SLIing in future but it would be nice to be able to play games with reasonable setting for a while on the 7600 as money is a bit tight at the moment. I had a look at that samsung one but I think it may be a little out of my price range at the moment unfortunatly. Thanx for all the replies everyone.

Im not going to lie... you will have to tune down some of the finer details to get playable frame rates in modern games ;).

I've got one and I have been pretty happy with it. Mine has a few dead/stuck pixels in the corners, but I cannot notice it unless I look really hard. Also, mine has a minor backlight bleeding issue. Once adjusted properly, though, it gives a great picture. No ghosting or anything like that while gaming. Overall, I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Back