• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acid135690

Registered
Currently I'm using a Zalman 7000-Cu/Led for cooling the CPU, an 80mm fan pulling in air on the side and finally a 120mm in the back blowing air out.

My question is should I reverse the direction of these fans? I know heat rises so I need to pull the air from the top, but would blowing air across the HS(120mm) and top area of the case be enough to circulate the air to be pulled out by the side fan (80mm)?

In other words, more air in the case, or more air out?

Also, I have a Zalman 7700 Cu, but I don't want to take the chance to breaking the CPU bracket. I move the computer around A LOT.

Thanks

I'd leave it how you have it. Side fan blowing cool air in and rear fan exhausting. You might consider getting a fan for the front of your case too (If there's the option to mount it) There's usually a spot in front of where the harddrives are mounted. This fan will help to cool them and aid your exhaust fan by increasing the pressure behind it.

I do have the option to mount a 120mm fan near the HD's, but there is no air inlet in the case face. Should I mount a fan there anyway just to get some circulation?

It's like putting a box fan flat on the ground, there will not be much air getting pulled, just circulated.

well, if there's no air inlet it's not going to do much good. But if your hard drives are running warm then it'll surely help.

You can always mod your case and put inlet holes.

I might just do that. I need a new case anyway. When I initially built the machine, I was running short on funds so I had to get a cheap case. The faceplate came cracked and after months of travel, the crack has spread. I'll just knock out that crack and put in a duct for the front fan.

Thanks for your help,
Acid

Back