• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Portal Demonstration from Valve's EA Summer Media Event

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw the video a couple of days ago I think and I had some thoughts:

Will it be multiplayer? I think there could be a really good single player feature - something that is often overlooked in mods.

I didn't think they should have demonstrated so many possibilities in the video, it would have been amazing to just discover them through experimentation.

Just watched the video, looked stupid as hell to begin with but holy crap that looks awesome. When is it out?!? I want it now!

hmm hope they have a demo or something cause thats how i get hooked (like x-men the official game demo has me hooked and now me want good marketing and good game = people want to buy)

RedDragonXXX said:

Well Prey is a FPS, as is Unreal. Weapons in Unreal have two firing modes, as does Prey.

My point is, originality in FPS games is rare, and yeah, when they get a company gets a new feature, other people are sure to copy it. It's like that everywhere.

Example: iPods were neither the first mp3 players, nor the first hard drive based mp3 players. Apple copied off of Compaq's PBJ-100. Now look where Compaq is in terms of mp3 players. Oh wait, no where. Now look were Apple is.

The fact of the matter is, there are companies that innovate and come up with new ideas, and then there are others that improve them.

Valve is a company in both categories, for instance the gravity gun has been duplicated in several other games. But in Portal, yeah, Prey was the inspiration behind that. But Prey never really used it's portal tech to really challenge the player. It was very linear, the portals could have been a way to really branch out and allow the player to be creative. Valve has realized this, and thus made Portal.

ziggo0, Portal will be released as an optional download with Half-Life 2: Episode 2, along with Team Fortress 2.

Edit: By the way, the trailer is available in HD off Steam. It's under the media section, or you could use this link: steam://run/922

Last edited:
Wow...thats a pretty trick idea for a game. I can just imagine the multiplayer...

No more trick jumping...just portal wherever... :D talk about confusing

I think would be awesome would be seeing someone camped up all high, drop a portal behind them and knife them from beyond the portal. :D

I don't see how this is a Prey ripoff. Portals were a minor(albiet fun) feature of the game, which really didn't impact gameplay aside from taking you to a new area which could just as easily have been reached through conventional travel if the devs had so chosen.

Portal is a puzzle game which revolves around the concept of using gateways to achieve your objectives.

and Prey didn't introduce the idea of a transdimensional portal in videogames, so...

It seems it is a Q4 2006 release. and yeah, if you want ot call Portal a rip off, why don't we call Prey a rip off for stealing portals from HL1, Unreal, etc. Portals have been around for a long time. Welcome to modern gaming.

Back