• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
When your folding and you have 2 or more PC's chugging away at a core, do all those PC's make your point's go up?

I just wonder what exactly are we folding...protein simulation...or some US goverment scheme...:rolleyes:

Joeteck said:
When your folding and you have 2 or more PC's chugging away at a core, do all those PC's make your point's go up?

Since nobody else gave a direct answer, I'll try. Short answer, yes. The more PC's you have folding for you the more points you earn. I think that's what you're asking? Otherwise, say you have 2 PC's fold the same core (copy it from 1 PC to the other), no, you will not get more points. You would actually get fewer points becuase the 2nd PC would have wasted it's time it could be folding another core for more points.

damarble said:
Since nobody else gave a direct answer, I'll try. Short answer, yes. The more PC's you have folding for you the more points you earn. I think that's what you're asking? Otherwise, say you have 2 PC's fold the same core (copy it from 1 PC to the other), no, you will not get more points. You would actually get fewer points becuase the 2nd PC would have wasted it's time it could be folding another core for more points.

Yes, thank you. Thats what I was asking...

I joined team 32 to help out

EDIT: How do you generate points? Do you have to complete 500 frames to get 1 point?

Last edited:
You are assigned Work Units (WUs) that vary in points depending on how long it takes to complete them. Each unit is a small time slice, generally a few nanoseconds of the simulation of the protien folding or unfolding in response to a force, temperature change, or electrical charge. FAH is essentially tracking the coordinates of the atoms in the protien. The available WUs and their value can be found here:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

The protien you're working on can be found in the file FAHlog.txt or unitinfo.txt.

You can download and install Electron Microscope III to monitor the client or clients if you have a network.

ChasR said:
You are assigned Work Units (WUs) that vary in points depending on how long it takes to complete them. Each unit is a small time slice, generally a few nanoseconds of the simulation of the protien folding or unfolding in response to a force, temperature change, or electrical charge. FAH is essentially tracking the coordinates of the atoms in the protien. The available WUs and their value can be found here:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

The protien you're working on can be found in the file FAHlog.txt or unitinfo.txt.

You can download and install Electron Microscope III to monitor the client or clients if you have a network.

I have 4 systems working under my user name. One is a dual 3.06Ghz Xeon w/ 4gig of RAM, A Pentium D 805 w/ 1gig of RAM, oced to 3.3Ghz, 866Mz P3, and a Celeron 2.8Ghz w/ 1 gig of RAM. When I search my status, will it show how many CPU's I have working?

Joeteck said:
When I search my status, will it show how many CPU's I have working?

Yes, when you go to the stanford page and search stats under your username, it show processors active within the last 7 and 50 days. Of course it cant distinguish between single core and dual core, so your 805 and Xeon (if HT is enabled) will show as more than 1 proc. That is of course if you have more than 1 FAH instance running on those machines.

For example here is mine:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=damarble

I have 3 PC's folding right now. But 1 is a P4 with HT (2 instances), 1 is a dual Xeon with HT (4) and the other is a P3 900 (1), so 7 "CPU's".

damarble said:
Yes, when you go to the stanford page and search stats under your username, it show processors active within the last 7 and 50 days. Of course it cant distinguish between single core and dual core, so your 805 and Xeon (if HT is enabled) will show as more than 1 proc. That is of course if you have more than 1 FAH instance running on those machines.

For example here is mine:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=damarble

I have 3 PC's folding right now. But 1 is a P4 with HT (2 instances), 1 is a dual Xeon with HT (4) and the other is a P3 900 (1), so 7 "CPU's".

Interesting.. You can run multiply instances of the application? Cool. Do you recomend GUI or non-gui of the app?

Non gui !!!

Console version all the way baby !

Seems that the gui version has some small problems with its interface with
the non-3d stuff (sorry but the correct term eludes me right now- brain cramp)

which in turn, causes it to crash.

So, for the majority, console appears to work best.

Last edited:
The text only consolde is pretty much just more stable. If you leave the gui client displaying the folding protien, that takes some of the cycles away from folding so it is best not to have it displaying, especially when you are not at your rig. If it is not painting the screen it is just as fast as the text only console but can suffer instablilty due to issues with open g/l conflicts with other windows apps that use open g/l.

Most folks run the text console as a service and i think fewer run it started from the desktop (ie not as a service).

Advantage of a service, is it will run hidden from the time windoze boots regardless of whether someone is logged on.

Runnning the console from a desktop shortcut requires windows to be started and either no user logon required, or a user is logged on depending on your windoze setup (userid/paassword or not.

Starting and stopping the text console also varies depending on whether you run as a service or desktop.

There are a few threads and stickies that can guide you through both.
Wedo's 1-click is popular for service installs and you can find it in the welcome sticky.

pscout said:
Most folks run the text console as a service and i think fewer run it started from the desktop (ie not as a service).

I always run as a service now, since when I ran from the desktop before it had serious stabilty issues and would always crap out before finishing the WU.

Back