• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I replace thermal compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruiza120

Hey guys,

I have an a8n32-sli coming in the mail to replace my neo4-f mobo. I have used the thermal pad that came with the stock X2 4400+ HSF for the last two months since I installed the proc. Should I replace the thermal pad with some AS5? I intend to get a new HSF, like a zalman 9500, sometime in the next couple of months, when I've got the cash, but would it be alright for me to just place the cpu and hsf in my new mobo without replacing the thermal compound? I have a tube of as5 but I don't really have any good cleaning solution for the cpu and the hsf and frankly I don't want to tamper with it if i don't necessarily have to.

thanks a lot, guys!

I would say yes, but I'm anal about stuff like that. If I remove, replace, or otherwise move/mess with the HS in any way, I replace the thermal compound...which is why I try not to mess with it too often ;)

so is it better for the hardware for it to be reapplied or is it just personal preference whether to reapply?`

I would say it's better for the hardware as those pads only last for so long.

As for cleaning solution, isopropyl alcohol should work fine. I use Arcticlean, but I'm picky that way ;) (tried alcohol wipes, first time using them in a not well ventilated environment told me it wasn't the greatest idea).

AS5 is way better than the thermal pad. You are taking a bigger chance of haveing a problem by reusing the old thermal pad.

alright well ill guess that ill just read a book or something til my new arctic cooling freezer 64 pro comes in and then ill just do it all with the installation of the new hsf. wanted to save the effort and play around a bit before the new hsf came in but i guess ill just take the safe route and play it safe.

thanks, guys!

Back