• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Typhoon & Ultra 120 Compared(My Results)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwschoon

I have asked elsewhere if anyone knew whether the Ultra 120 was better than the Big Typhoon, but no one seemed to know the answer. I already had great results with the Big Typhoon, so I decided to go ahead and try the Ultra 120 to compare it.

Test system
Abit AS8 Board w/ vdroop mod
P4 506 Prescott - 1mb L2 - 20x multi

*All tests were done with the system outside of the case.
*All tests were run with either the stock typhoon fan, or a CompUSA “techie toyz” fan that claims 100cfm.

*All temps are Celsius
*I tested CPU temps at stock([email protected]) and my max stable o/c([email protected])
*Cpu Temps were recorded using a thermal diode attached to the CPU IHS w/ AS5

*Ambient temps were 22.4-22.7 throughout the test
*For the idle test, I let the system idle for 15 min and recorded the lowest temp.
*For the load test, I ran a prime95 “torture test” set at “in place large ftt’s” for 15 min and recorded the max temp. Note that max temp was usually achieved by the 10 min mark.

I also tested the stock Intel heat sink:
Stock Speed
35.9 Idle
49.9 Load

Overclocked
49.6 Idle
CPU throttled and Prime95 quit within 30 seconds

Stock Speed/Typhoon Fan
Typhoon
27.9 Idle
35.2 Load

Ultra 120
26.5 Idle
30.9 Load

Overclocked/Typhoon Fan
Typhoon
33.0 Idle
49.1 Load

Ultra 120
29.6 Idle
40.1 Load

Stock Speed/Techie Toyz Fan
Typhoon
26.6 Idle
31.3 Load

Ultra 120
25.9 Idle
29.7 Load

Overclocked/Techie Toyz Fan
Typhoon
29.9 Idle
42.1 Load

Ultra 120
28.6 Idle
38.3 Load

From my experience, the Ultra 120 is the better heatsink. My only complaint is that the fan clips that came with the Ultra 120 wouldn't work with any of my fans due to their design. I had to fashion my own clips from paper clips. I also was able to add a 2nd of the higher cfm fan and run a superpi 1mb @ [email protected]. I can’t get it prime stable above 4.3 though. I really think that my PSU is the limiting factor now, since the 12V rail droops badly. It is a cheap PSU with a 16A 12V rail. I am folding right now at 4.3 with both fans on the Ultra 120 and my temp is 35.0:)

very nice results, now all you need is a Scythe ninja or one of there good heatsinks and try that :D i must say if my artic cooler dies i will deff buy that cooler

awesome work! i wouldn't have guessed such a large difference between the BT and Ultra-120. would be interesting to see some motherboard temps for comparison, if you happen to have them.

kovboi said:
awesome work! i wouldn't have guessed such a large difference between the BT and Ultra-120. would be interesting to see some motherboard temps for comparison, if you happen to have them.

My mb reported the cpu temp anywhere from 0-10 less than the prob at any given time. I dont think the mb sensor is very accurate because it reports 51(or 61, i cant remember) degrees when the cpu begins to throttle.

mariosimas said:
Now compare the Ultra with the Ninja.

I would bet that the ultra 120 would outperform the ninja as well because it has a lot more fins packed closer together for more surface area.

dwschoon said:
I would bet that the ultra 120 would outperform the ninja as well because it has a lot more fins packed closer together for more surface area.

I'd bet that, too. I did some testing of my own with a Ninja and a Big Typhoon. The BT was 4-5 degrees cooler using the same fan (BT fan), same ambient temps. If I had put a higher CFM fan on the BT it would've really pulled away.

I only see a problem with the Ultra. It´s the orientation on the majority of the boards. The fan will be facing the graphic card. I prefer this orientation for my cooler:

and i can´t do that with the Ultra unfortunately

Back