• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1405 questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Semyaza

I am thinking of getting a dell with a t2400 duo. Is this the yonah core? Cause it doesn't say Core Duo, it says something like Intel Core Proc Duo.

Also its fsb is at 667 while my memory is shown at 533, will they upgrade the memory, use a divider or underclock the chip?

Anyone have one of these and love them?

Is it a good idea to get a duo if the end user intends only to use it for web and text? I think it will be around 350 cheeper with the single core t13xx because I can apply a 30% off coupon.

Would programs like word and IE/Firefox see a noticable effect from dropping the duo for a single? Right now the person is using a tosiba 1 gig pent m I think.

It's definitely a Yonah. The specs for my 1405 are in my sig, and I must say that I am very impressed with this laptop. The only gripe I have is the screen. I have the upgraded screen, and although it is very clear, it has a severe backlight bleeding problem. I am going to request a new screen soon, and hopefully I get a better one. The processor runs with a divider on the memory, but it doesn't seem to slow it down much. It would probably run faster with it at a 1:1 ratio, but the difference would be very small. I would say get the duo, just because you never know what you might end up running on it later on, unless you hold out on the cheapest ship you can get for now, and get a Merom later on, and drop it in. I would recommend the 9 cell battery if your looking for long battery life. It says I have roughly 1.5-2 hours left, with wifi on, the backlight at full, and 30% charge left. I have seen it register as high as 8+ hours of life on a full charge.

Hey Vaio, how is the integrated graphics working out for you? Do you watch movies, light gaming, or just browsing the web?

I bought a 1405 for my wife as a desktop replacement for her old celeron and she loves it! I was pretty impressed with the laptop myself so i replaced my old dell with a 1505 T2400 and i have to say, this thing is really quick and responsive. After i un-installed all of dell's crap annoyware it was very quick! And for the $$$ you can't go wrong, just make sure you get an extended warranty, worth every penny......

dylskee said:
I bought a 1405 for my wife as a desktop replacement for her old celeron and she loves it! I was pretty impressed with the laptop myself so i replaced my old dell with a 1505 T2400 and i have to say, this thing is really quick and responsive. After i un-installed all of dell's crap annoyware it was very quick! And for the $$$ you can't go wrong, just make sure you get an extended warranty, worth every penny......

What video card did you end up getting? I want decent performance, but I don't know what to choose between integrated and the ati mobility radeon x1300 w/ hypermemory 128mb(64 onboard). If the performance gain isn't that great, I'll use the money for something else.

I got the Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM, i don't plan on playing any games on this laptop so that was fine for me. If you want to play games i would go for the upgrade, not sure what the perfrmance gain is but i'm sure it's worth the few extra bucks.

dylskee said:
I usually use http://www.gotapex.com/ got some pretty good deals lately.

WOWZERS! :eek: I'm sooo close to buying one, but I still have more questions. :confused:

Is the screen worth upgrading to the ultra-sharp?
Will I ever use bluetooth for anything?
What warranty did everyone get?

Thanks for the help and sorry for stealing your thread Semyaza:bang head

ohiosurfer said:
WOWZERS! :eek: I'm sooo close to buying one, but I still have more questions. :confused:

Is the screen worth upgrading to the ultra-sharp?
Will I ever use bluetooth for anything?
What warranty did everyone get?

Thanks for the help and sorry for stealing your thread Semyaza:bang head
The screen upgrade is definitely worth it. Bluetooth, well not really and i opted for the 2 year extended warranty which is almost a must.

meionm said:
I got dell 1405 from dell outlet, will come this monday.
I was actually going to but one from there also but i waited too long on the one i wanted and it was gone the following day. I ended up with the same laptop for $60. more than what it was in the outlet.

dylskee said:
I was actually going to but one from there also but i waited too long on the one i wanted and it was gone the following day. I ended up with the same laptop for $60. more than what it was in the outlet.
Yeah, they go fast there, especially when they around $500-600. I think going through small business will give the same laptop but with better warranty as oppose to going through home section.

I have one complain, I wanted a cheap and good laptop. I wish dell had other shipping options than next day. That way shipping with discount would be less. I end up paying like $30 after $50 shipping discount and I would not care it took a week as long it was free.

Here's what I got:
Dell 1405
Core Duo 1.6ghz
1gb memory
100gb hard drive
Wxga+
8x Dvd burner
1 year warranty
The rest of the setup is standard.

All of this for around $600 plus another $100 for shipping & handling and taxes. I don't know if this a good price but it was the price I was willing to pay. The cpu speed it didn't matter to me becasue I will only use for interent and typing.

meionm said:
Yeah, they go fast there, especially when they around $500-600. I think going through small business will give the same laptop but with better warranty as oppose to going through home section.

I have one complain, I wanted a cheap and good laptop. I wish dell had other shipping options than next day. That way shipping with discount would be less. I end up paying like $30 after $50 shipping discount and I would not care it took a week as long it was free.

Here's what I got:
Dell 1405
Core Duo 1.6ghz
1gb memory
100gb hard drive
Wxga+
8x Dvd burner
1 year warranty
The rest of the setup is standard.

All of this for around $600 plus another $100 for shipping & handling and taxes. I don't know if this a good price but it was the price I was willing to pay. The cpu speed it didn't matter to me becasue I will only use for interent and typing.

Yeah, that's an awesome price! I got that same laptop for my wife and i paid $900. with free shipping, but i got a 3 year warranty. :)

I got one today. Battery life is great. Wireless 3940 something is much better than wireless 2915 something. Stupidy of dell never stops to amaze me. Boot it for the first time it load up about 60 to 70 proceses. Selective picking of proceses to run on start up lowered it to over 50. Turning all of the proceses give around 38. Still too high. Windows needs to be reinstalled. Stupid dell doesn't even ship driver disks anymore.

I almost picked one up the other day, but decided it wasnt small enough.

it was $700 shipped the other day w/ the 1.6 and the 120 hdd and a gig of ram.

I bought an E1405 with a core duo T2300 processor two months ago and I'm enjoying it.

I recently upgraded to 2 Gig (two 1 Gig sticks) of Corsair 667 Mhz DDR2 value ram and it's working fine.

I just finished downloading and installing the A04 bios from Dell's website. The A04 bios provides core 2 duo Merom processor support. It's now running fine with my current core duo T2300.

I"ll be getting a core 2 duo CPU and experimenting with 64 bit Vista in the future.

Back