• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Conroe System Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BryanB

Registered
Hello everyone. Been looking high and low at CPU's and Mobo's and thought about AMD for price but I think I can wait for a C2D. So my question is, how does this setup look

CPU: E6600
Mobo: Asus P5WDH
RAM : 2xCorsair 1GB DDR2-533 240pin

PSU:
Video Card:

^^ thats what I kinda need help with, I would like a video card that is not too expensive (But able to play games like BF2/Oblivion reasonably) cause I think I'm goin to have to buy another DX10 card soon enuf. As for PSU..i'm kinda clueless so any help there would be appreciated.:)

Also I see that the Asus P5W DH is the mobo most of you have chosen is it the best or just the only option right now?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, the Asus P5W DH is probably the best available right now. Abit does have the AB9 and AB9 Pro (has RAID).

For PSU, I'd highly recommend the OCZ Powerstream 520W.

I haven't kept up with what the best bang for the buck vid card. Check out the vid card section.

Do you already have the RAM? If not, maybe consider some other higher speed options. If you need other possible RAM suggestions, just let me know.

Got Ram

Thanks for PSU suggestion, and yea I've got 1GB of RAM i might get another, can always put that in later when I need to :)

hey just curious, will the E6600 be able to run Crysis that new Crytek shooter being made for DX10/Windows Vista.

second on the psu or rather get the PCP&P 610 silencer (49A 12v single rail):drool:
video thats easy good on the cheap 7600GT or spend slighly extra for a 7900GT

BryanB said:
Thanks for PSU suggestion, and yea I've got 1GB of RAM i might get another, can always put that in later when I need to :)

hey just curious, will the E6600 be able to run Crysis that new Crytek shooter being made for DX10/Windows Vista.
right now the bottle neck is the GPU not the cpu... so yea it will but it comes down to you video card. crysis is suppose to be a DX10 game not sure if that true but its what i remember reading.

ahh good to hear, I can get the Conroe and not worry about another upgrade

Yea I'm pretty sure ill get the 7600 GT just to save money so I can get a real nice DX10 card when the time comes

Yeh

Thats what im doing i got a agp card and im going to buy a cheap pci card. No need to waste tons of money on VC when DX10 is comeing out.

Chad44 said:
Thats what im doing i got a agp card and im going to buy a cheap pci card. No need to waste tons of money on VC when DX10 is comeing out.
well if nv has a repeat of the "FX" line, im not touching the first gen dx10 even if you paid me to.

Good plan on the vid card. We are only 1/2 a year away from some big changes with DX10/Vista and a new generation of vid cards.

Bryan, in regard to the RAM, just use what you have for now, but later when you get some extra cash, I would seriously consider upgrading to 2X1GB of faster stuff and then sell what you currently have. DDR2 is changing and improving almost daily, but newegg has several choices of 2X1GB DDR2-800 in the $160 to $200 range if you are on a budget. Just as an example, check out this G. Skill RAM with 4-4-4-12 timings (see link).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231073

Online store help

Hey, I'm looking at newegg.com and a bunch of other Canadian :) online stores, i cant find this E6600 for the life of me, does it have another name or am I just blind, a link would be ENORMOUSLY apriciated (can't spell :beer:)

you wont see the C2Ds for sale untill they are officially launched. You can pre-order one from tankguys though.

Soooo

So if I were to get the system :

CPU : E6600
Mobo : Asus P5WDH
RAM : 2X1GB DDR2-800
PSU : OCZ Powerstream 520W
Video Card : 7600GT (for now)

When DX10 comes out, the only thing i'll have to upgrade is the Video Card??

By the way thanks alot for all the imput you guys put in

sorry for the thread jack, but since we already have a thread for recommendations, does anyone have any recommendations for a 2x512MB kit for a conroe system with the gigabyte ds3 motherboard? So far im thinking of ordering the Team Group's ddr667 2x512MB kit at tankguys. If anyone thinks this will limit my oc, plz recommend something other. BTW the chip is either going to be a e6300 or 6400. Thanks.

edit: or im thinking this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231064
seems like good stuff

Last edited:
ssgohan434 said:
sorry for the thread jack, but since we already have a thread for recommendations, does anyone have any recommendations for a 2x512MB kit for a conroe system with the gigabyte ds3 motherboard? So far im thinking of ordering the Team Group's ddr667 2x512MB kit at tankguys. If anyone thinks this will limit my oc, plz recommend something other. BTW the chip is either going to be a e6300 or 6400. Thanks.

edit: or im thinking this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231064
seems like good stuff
at that price your better off getting the 2gig kit batboy linked too.

just looked at what he linked to, and its the "zx" stuff which isnt good. I think he mistaked it for the "hz" partnumber ending stuff which is the good stuff.

edit:
here is what he posted in another thread
RETRACTION

Well, I hate admitting an error about as much as making the actual mistake. But, I don't want to mislead anyone. The cheap newegg G. Skill DDR2 RAM that I posted the link about is not exactly the same RAM that was in the review link that I posted.

If you look at the model number of the review link, it's G. Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (note the last 2 letters, "HZ"). That's the desireable stuff with Micron D9 chips. The cheaper G. Skill RAM I originally posted the link for is F2-6400PHU2-2GBZX (note the "ZX") which probably has different chips.

If you want the same RAM that was in the review link, then you need to spend a little more cash, sorry. Here is the newegg link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

batboy said:
For PSU, I'd highly recommend the OCZ Powerstream 520W.
Hey on the site I use, which main store is like 10 minutes from my house, the OCZ GameXStream 600W is like 150$ while the OCZ Powerstream 520W is 147$ so is there a real difference between Powerstream and GameXstream.

I see that the Powerstream says SLI ready, but I dont plan on doing SLI so what do you guys think?

(Just incase you think those prices are high, im Canadian eh so exchange rate and all :))

Back