• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT or X1900XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
x1800xt is another option, my bro breaks 10k in 05 with a opty 146 at 2.65ghz on stock volts and x1800xt 512 maxed in overdrive at 690/800, he plays fear and HL2 and CS:S and he likes it much better than the 7900's we have seen, x1900 is that much better to boot.

Hell, at that price I wouldnt care myself, but then again, I'm broke so every penny counts right now. I had a few PNY cards back in the day and had a PNY 6800 Ultra and never had any issues. I talked to them over the phone when I ordered it and they even called me to let me know they were assembling my card. This is back when the mad insane dash for the 6800's was on, kinda like the Core 2's now where everyone wants one.

x1900xt will have better image quality. I would go with what another poster said and do an x1800 if all you care about is HL2. Keep in mind that HL2 is optimized for ATI based cards.

I can play HL2 on a 6800 LE with the pixel pipelines and vertex shaders unlocked to 16/8 and oc'ed to 350/400 at 1680 x 1050 with everything enabled except AA with AF at 4x at about 45 FPS with minimal slowdown, so you should be fine with either of those cards. Go ATI though because it will be prettier XD.

legionaire45 said:
I can play HL2 on a 6800 LE with the pixel pipelines and vertex shaders unlocked to 16/8 and oc'ed to 350/400 at 1680 x 1050 with everything enabled except AA with AF at 4x at about 45 FPS with minimal slowdown, so you should be fine with either of those cards. Go ATI though because it will be prettier XD.

my expectations must be higher. I play HL2 on a 6800GT OC with 4xAA and at 1680x1050 it's unplayable IMO. I use 1280x1024 instead.

I can run HL2 on my 6800GT OC'd but its only at 1280x1024....cant go anymore, dont want my video card to blow. haha.

I played HL2 fairly well on my 6800NU, HL2 seems to be much more cpu intensive than GPU. Not that it didnt totally rule on my 7800GTX vefore it died. I have a x800XL now. I'll give it a shot with that and let you know how it works.

vixro said:
x1900xt will have better image quality. I would go with what another poster said and do an x1800 if all you care about is HL2. Keep in mind that HL2 is optimized for ATI based cards.

IQ differences are bull****. I own both ATI and Nvidia systems.

I put them against each other in a game running highest resolution possible with 25+ FPS as a must. With that speed you cannot notice really any difference, if you take a screenshot then zoom in and study a area for a while then maybe yes. But when a guy is shooting at you with 45 FPS you don't really notice that the statue to the right has a bit better texturing on the far right area.

I ran a bunch of tests with my X800XL and I just got another 7800GT, and I can honestly say that looking at the screen shots, you would need to xoom in and specificly look for differences, as the above poster said. Actual in game quality is very even, and I love both makers, have had both high and mid and low end cards made by each. I do however feel that NV's mid range cards are better for the money. You can actually get a 7800GTX at comp USA right now for $200 and thats a steal IMHO, nothing is going to touch that till the 7900GS comes out at $169 and pushes the others down in price. Then a second 7800GT for SLI may just be worth it :)

Nandro said:
I ran a bunch of tests with my X800XL and I just got another 7800GT, and I can honestly say that looking at the screen shots, you would need to xoom in and specificly look for differences, as the above poster said. Actual in game quality is very even, and I love both makers, have had both high and mid and low end cards made by each. I do however feel that NV's mid range cards are better for the money. You can actually get a 7800GTX at comp USA right now for $200 and thats a steal IMHO, nothing is going to touch that till the 7900GS comes out at $169 and pushes the others down in price. Then a second 7800GT for SLI may just be worth it :)

You can get a X1800 XT 256 MB which is the 7800 GTXs adversary for $212 over at newegg.com as well.

I recall reading in the cyberdeals section that the compusa deal you linked is perpetually out of stock for delivery and will not be honored if you go instore. Pricing error that hasn't been fixed for a while I guess.

In regards to IQ:

It's the movement that drives me nuts. FEAR looks...wrong on the 79GT I currently run. Stairs seemingly "separate," flicker, and blink repeatedly. It's been some time, but I don't remember the X1900XT doing any of that crap. Fortunately, as someone already pointed out...if a game's SO involving, IQ doesn't matter as much. I love this. It needs to happen more often!!

In regards to FPS:

I've a theory that some unlucky folk NEED high FPS. I've also a theory that those folks get headaches from CRT's. The trilogy ends in light sensitivity. I live in PHX and pretty much pick my path and hope for the best. Bright light drives me up a wall. I goes right into the pupes and drowns out everything else. CRTs...even @85hz give me awful headaches. And playing Quake 4 on this 7900GT @ 2xAA 1680x1050 High Detail "jars" me when going into a room with lots of baddies. Going from 60+ to 35 messes w/ my poor little eyes something awful. So it's completely understandable that my friend has no issues w/ Fear on a 6600GT @ hi res. Some folks are blessed...I am not. :(

Thats odd about your issues with fear. I have a 7800GT and have seen none of that and have played the game through twice. I use the 84.37 drivers as I seem to get the best quality/speed out of them and don't really need anything added by quad sli or any of that. Maybe give them a try and see if it helps you any.

Of course it could be the condition of the card...seeing as it takes a dump when doing something as simple as viewing pics in picasa. :D

Back