Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

1/2" Fittings... which type are best?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 05:58 PM Thread Starter   #1
virtualrain
Registered

1/2" Fittings... which type are best?

Hi,

I'm going with 1/2" fittings on my rig but 7/16" tubing.

In general, are push on fittings better (I'm sure that's not an option in my case with odd size tubing), barbs (like on the swifttech blocks), or something else?

What about clamps. I would rather be safe than sorry even though the 7/16" over 1/2" is tight... What clamps are easiest to work with, attractive, and do a good job?

Finally, what about elbows? Do they really restrict flow? I may need a couple due to the way I'm mounting my rads.

I need the following:
- 1/2" ID fittings for the DDC Ultra pump with G1/4 taps
- 1/2" ID fittings for my Black Ice GT rads with G1/4 taps... I might need an elbow or two here instead of straight fittings depending on my mounting situation.
- Some kind of T to mount a thermal probe in the water line... ideally a G1/4 tapped T so I can use the same fittings on it as well as a thermal probe with G1/4 male threads.
- I'm also using the Innovatek flow meter which has G1/4 male threads so I need a F G1/4 to 1/2" ID fitting

I'll be using Swifttech water blocks so black PVC type barbs like what they use might be the best for consistency.

Any thoughts from the experienced peeps in the crowd would be appreciated.

Thanks!
virtualrain is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-23-06, 06:10 PM   #2
Arca_ex

Don't worry about the 90's as ling as you have a powerful pump like a D5, I still get really good temps with all these lol.

Arca_ex is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-06, 12:51 AM Thread Starter   #3
virtualrain
Registered

Holy crap! That looks like an oil refinery you got going on there! LOL!
Old 07-24-06, 01:01 AM Thread Starter   #4
virtualrain
Registered

Specific questions here...

When using 7/16 tubing over 1/2" fittings, what kinds of fittings work best... I'm assuming High flow (A) is easier to get tubing over than Perfect seal (B)

A: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=34&page=1

B: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=34&page=1

Am I right?

Also, I want to use this flow meter in my loop... (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-tub-45.html) It has male G1/4 threads... I can't find a fitting that will go G1/4 female to 1/2" anywhere? Ideas?
Old 07-24-06, 01:35 AM   #5
DSpot
Registered

The PS are great fittings. U don't get the leaks like hi-flo when u twist your tubing round & round. Getting the 1/2" Clearflex in requires a little effort though. So to get the 7/16 into the PS is gonna be a b*tch. Soaking the tubings into hot water helps. But if you are gonna be using 7/16"s, I suggest you go with the hi-flo ones.
DSpot is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-06, 07:23 AM   #6
CutterJon
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpot
The PS are great fittings. U don't get the leaks like hi-flo when u twist your tubing round & round. Getting the 1/2" Clearflex in requires a little effort though. So to get the 7/16 into the PS is gonna be a b*tch. Soaking the tubings into hot water helps. But if you are gonna be using 7/16"s, I suggest you go with the hi-flo ones.
I installed some 7/16" MasterKleer over 1/2" Perfect Seal barbs this past weekend. I soaked the tube ends in boiling water for 30 secs. and while it was a bit difficult, it wasn't too bad.

Last edited by CutterJon; 07-24-06 at 07:57 AM.
CutterJon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-06, 08:44 AM   #7
Arca_ex

Yeah just don't get that flow meter, it'll kill flow like no tomorrow going from 7/16" all the way to 1/4"
Arca_ex is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-06, 08:51 AM   #8
calvin

Quote:
I installed some 7/16" MasterKleer over 1/2" Perfect Seal barbs this past weekend. I soaked the tube ends in boiling water for 30 secs. and while it was a bit difficult, it wasn't too bad.
Shouldn't need any clamps on those connections LOL.
calvin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-24-06, 09:40 AM   #9
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

If you want to use clamps and not have to wrestle your tubing: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/1nptthto7alf.html

And there are no usable "Push-In" fittings to match up with 1/2" or 7/16" ID tubing. The max OD they are available for is 5/8", but those may not work with 7/16" ID. You could buy one to make sure though.

Last edited by Captain Slug; 07-24-06 at 09:47 AM.
Captain Slug is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-25-06, 07:13 PM Thread Starter   #10
virtualrain
Registered

Thanks guys. I'm going with the 1/2" high flow fittings.

One other questions, the GT Stealth Rads have G1/4 (I assume BSPP) threads. I want a couple of elbows that will mate with this but all the distributors in NA seem to only carry NPT fittings. Any idea where I can get G1/4 BSPP elbows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop