• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone ever flash BIOS out of existence:me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

this could be nothing, or it could be the end of the road for some, if not all of the components in my beloved second pc.

Its an Asus cusl2-c, a coppermine (up to 1GHz capable) mobo. It had 1006 BIOS. I wanted the latest 1007, because I thought it might have mentioned a fix to a problem I had. So, by direction, I made a DOS boot disk, put aflash.exe on it, and the new bios, cua1007.awd. Booted from flopy to A:, typed aflash, selected option 1, save current bios, named it 1006, again, option2, install new bios, entered name cua1007.awd.

Well, maybe it was the warning that it didn\t match type or something, but I said Y. It said EPROM done, gave me a checksum, maybe that didn't match, can't remember. Anyway I wrote anything/everything down. AFter it said finished it said ESC to exit, press power, enter setup and load defaults.

I did write down checksum8BDA, abd later 3FFFF, and also the "flash memory" SST 49LF004A

OK, power down power up. with floppy in/floppy out. Nothing on screen, nothing at all, like its off. When I turn the power on at the case, the HDD activity light on a split sec, then the CDD light, but never does it access the floppy, the light never on. When I turn it off it split secs the HDD light.

There are no beeps of any kind, either powering up or down, with a floppy in or out.

Is this the end of the road or what. It doesn't look good. Can I do anything. Can the store where I bought (most of it) 5 yrs ago do anything? Is there a reset hole, or can I short some jumpers or something?

I looked at the floppy in another pc, it has the first biios I saved as 1006, without any extension (I didn't give it one), and the new one, and aflash, and the format stuff. The saved orig bios size, and the new failed bios, with .awd extension is the same size, 256KB, but wait the dates are reversed to what I would think, today for the old, but 12/07/01 for the new(failed). Going to asus.com.

Forget the date: its from the wrong mobo. Its from a CUSL2, not cusl2-c. Well isn't that funny since i went there six times.

Last edited:
A little update after a little research.

sticker on BIOS chip:
AWARD
PCIPNP 686

boot block save? It is overwritten! as part of aflash in cusl2-c. Can you believe it. Right inline w/ new bios is overwrite the the boot block Y/N. Y. Not a word of advice in the manual. This is supposed to save you. Why is it overwrittable now in this potentially dangerous sequence? Because different is different. Ya if its wrong BIOS model its gonna be different. So overwrite this too, just say Y. DUH!

Use a ISA vid card? well there are no isa slots, but pci and a cnr, besides the AGP(4x Radeon 64DDR vivo that always said not inAGP mode in any win diag tool; maybe it as the friggin' celeron 66FSB, not 133, also keeping my 133 ram at 100MHz) I was using. ANd it don't have onboard vid. I do have another PCI vid card. Would it matter which slot of PCI?

Floppy? I got an io, ms, command.com, ibm, ab, cs disk , w/ aflash, & old 1006, but don't know if I can it doing anything with yet! Its not a /s disk, nor even from the OS, but it did boot to A: prompt

The chip? In the cusl2-c It is soldered right onto the board. 32-pins I believe. Got a solder sucker and a std. 45W I think, don't know if I can/should do it myself if I get a new chip. HAve to trty to get one, say from Asus.

Reprogram? well if I can take it in on the board, maybe. Anyone know of a place in Toronto, Ontario, Canada? Can this be done right on the board? Apparently an EPROM rewritting machine is something every self respecting home elctronics person should own.

I am not 100 percent sure the boot block was the warning I ignored. Its one warning in the printed orig manual I have. Read the online one last night. Don't know what if any solution is here

ANYONE GOT A SUGGESTIONs?

is it possible to get to a A: prompt without a working bios? thats why i was checking the lights.

What about unplugging the battery for >15 mins?

p.s my P4C800-E Deluxe has a socket for its BIOS chip at least. I'm reading my Hardware Bible, Brady, 1994, free.

Last edited:
Have you tried resetting the cmos? There shold be a jumper on the board to do this. removing the cmos battery for a while will do the samt thing.

ok, just on this point. Is it the same thing. Haven't specifically found out if there isa jumper, but thought of the battery trick. Same thing? I was kinda thinking I'd wait at this point until taking the battery OUT. What you say?

It is always a good idea to reset the cmos after a bios flash. My dad had an hp that i helped him flash over the phone. It wouldnt post until he left the battery out of the mb for at least 15min. You might try that. Good luck!

the Bible has ~75 pp of BIOS and says 15 minutes, here goes; gotta get a tool. Found more goo for my cpu and 7000Cu, but no plastic tool; used a pen cap and it fell several inches to the bottom of the case. Saved it, at 11:09 a.m. E.S.T.

Last edited:
same thing. Nothing.

At this point I'm not even sure what I'm expecting to accomplish at home. If there is any truth to the fact that there may be hidden video? I may be misinterpreting from my research, but is there any life in there to look forward to seeing?. That is, what is going on that I can't see. I am partially concerned that something could be mucked up by not seeing what is going on, and interupting it by shutting down in the middle of something, or something. But I guess if I'm not seeing what is going on - I see nothing- whateer is going on is coming to an abrupt halt soon after I power up, and therefore, why not just power down until the next time, right? But what the heck am I expecting to see. Or is it that there is about as much going on as I am seeing, ie zero? Can I be expected to getto a floppy ever? This may take time, before I seeks pro help, &/or Asus to send chip(s). If anyone else has researched this prob, you know who, or what I'm talking about. If you otherwise just know the answer, please do tell.

Last edited:
Back