• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Astral

Registered
Why does everyone seem to be saying that DX10 is going to make cards outdated? It's not like it's going to make the x1900XTX so inferior it's like entry level. It's going to be like the difference we had between a 9700 and a 9800. Sure you wont be able to play the brand new games at absolutely maxed out everything, but it's still going to look damn good. Plus, aren't they saying that it will be Vista only and Vista will have to emulate all dx9 games? That right there makes me want to wait on both. Granted, I just got a x1900XTX so maybe I'm just trying to convince myself, but I don't think so.

Unless you are going to be upgrading to Vista right away the DX10 is a moot point. Only Windows Vista will support DX10. I don't plan on upgrading until it has been out for at least a year so I went with the x1900xt so I can enjoy my computer now.

Well as soon as it hits the market it seems to be outdated already. Welcome to the world of computers. hehe

I just bought my X1900XT recently from a X1800XL (back in November of last year). While yes I will upgrade to a DX10 card, it won't be til DX10 games that I play come out, but I will upgrade to Vista basically as soon as it comes out. If you can use DX10 in a game from what we know now it should preform faster.

From what I've read about DX10, it is supposed to increase performance pretty well over DX9. They are completely starting over and implementing new ways of processing. I think that it's going to be a good thing that it's not backward compatible. This means that game developers don't have to waste time on making it work with a ton of different cards/platforms. They can spend that time making the game better and fully utilizing the DX10 features.
It also means that there will be less overhead for the system because the APIs are specific to DX10
It's also supposed to implement a unified architechture for GPUs. What this will do is, instead of having different parts of the GPU specifcally responsible for an shader operation, like calculations of pixel placement, vertex or gemoetry calcs, they will be able to handle any of those calculations.
What this does is allow for less waiting on one or the other.

Overall It's going to be a good thing, just sucks that everyone has to upgrade to benefit.

I'm looking to buy a laptop. And while it's not going to just be a gaming machine (obviously), I hope to be able to play games on it now and then. I really hope that I will have the ability to upgrade my graphics to something DX10 compatible if I decide to go Vista. If not, it'll kinda suck.

jivetrky said:
I'm looking to buy a laptop. And while it's not going to just be a gaming machine (obviously), I hope to be able to play games on it now and then. I really hope that I will have the ability to upgrade my graphics to something DX10 compatible if I decide to go Vista. If not, it'll kinda suck.

Might as well wait til Vista, DX10 cards come out to buy a laptop. At least you won't be paying alot more extra for Vista, and you'll have a DX10 card in there hopfully.

well maybe I'll buy the R600 cause of my right now rig...I have a PCI(PCI not PCI-e) Radeon 9250 so upgrading to a DX!0 card will...OMFG wait LOL If I buy a DX10 card I would haver never passed in history through a DX9 card!!! OMG LOL

I'm gonna wait & go from a 9600pro to the R600. From Socket-A to AM2. That is one hell of a transition.

But yeah, i dont think dx9 cards will suck on dx10 games. there will prolly be some new features that you just can't turn on. But it will still rock.

jivetrky said:
I couldn't survive on the rig in my sig until then :)

Don't blame ya ;) Hehehe

Its just very hard and expensive to find a Laptop that lets you upgrade the graphics card thats all. Let alone trying to find the card that actually fits in the system itself.

Yeah best bet would be to just wait on the laptop until they 1. come with vista installed and 2. come with a dx10 card inside. Otherwise upgrading laptop graphics can be pricy and challenging, and you would have to pay for the vista license after already paying for an xp license.

Until then, just read a book and try to ignore that your computer has such low clock speeds :p

I'm sorry, that was terrible...

The clevo/sager lappys have changeable video. i had one a while back, and at the time(it was a sager 8890) it was faster and had better video than most home rigs. Hell sager has sli lappys out now.

deathman20 said:
Don't blame ya ;) Hehehe

Its just very hard and expensive to find a Laptop that lets you upgrade the graphics card thats all. Let alone trying to find the card that actually fits in the system itself.

Well I know that the Dell E1705 (which is what I plan to get) has swappable typed graphics cards. I'm getting the 7900GS with it. I know that a 7900GTX will fit into it. I am just wondering if anything after that will be able to work in it.

Nandro said:
The clevo/sager lappys have changeable video. i had one a while back, and at the time(it was a sager 8890) it was faster and had better video than most home rigs. Hell sager has sli lappys out now.

The dells are also interchangable, in fact their XPS laptops have SLI options.

I'm not saying Dell is the best out there. But for the price for what you get, they are a great deal. the E1705 I'm going to get (17" 1920x1200 display, 2Ghz Yonah, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2, 60GB 7200RPM, 7900GS, 9cell bat, and docking station) will only be ~$1500 with a coupon.
If it was going to be a lot more than that I'd probably just go with a desktop, since the reason that I'm selling off my nice system is to get some extra money.

Douken said:
well maybe I'll buy the R600 cause of my right now rig...I have a PCI(PCI not PCI-e) Radeon 9250 so upgrading to a DX!0 card will...OMFG wait LOL If I buy a DX10 card I would haver never passed in history through a DX9 card!!! OMG LOL
pretty amazing Douken:eek:

Douken said:

Make sure to buy some diapers with that r600, you will need them when you first fire up a game.

Douken said:

pretty amazing Douken:eek: +1

Back