• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fix for railings/radio towers/powerline AA issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

I mainly play BF2 and my game looks flawless (based on max graphics with x1900's in crossfire).

My MAIN problem is that radio towers, railings, and powerlines almost look like they have no AA on them. When I am running you can see the jaggies across them, yet buildings, the ground, vehicles, and everything else appears perfect. I can see this issue in the deep freeze test of 3dmark06 too, the radio tower. I am curious which setting or tweak I can use to make all these lines look perfect, at any performance hit.

AAA on performance/quality/off does not seem to fix the problem. I see it with crossfire enabled, and when I have a single card running. The problem happens in all games that have these type of objects, just mainly noticable in BF2.

I have Catalyst AI enabled on the normal tweak, not advanced. I was told I needed it enabled for crossfire to work correctly. I have application controlled AA on because BF2 doesn't seem to have any AA if I choose a manual setting in the drivers.

Because this issue happens in all drivers, and after searching google for a while and not seeing any replies, I think I might be the only one that seems to care. Am I wrong in thinking this is fixable? I had a 7800GT with **** image quality, but when I had multisampling AA enabled, powerlines and radio towers looked good. Isn't AAA supposed to do somewhat of the same thing? Or crossfire with Cat AI enabled?

Any help is appreciated. I have included 1 screenshot of BF2 to show the quality of my game... but when you look at the railings, you can see that they look like trash. When I move, the railing appears to have moving jaggies, almost like the spindle outside of an old school barber shop.
click here: http://vixro.fotki.com/battlefield_2_af/roadrage009.html , then click on "get original uploaded photo" to see the full 1280x1024 res image.

edit: I disabled Cat AI and put AAA back on and the image is a LOT better without a performance hit, but it's still noticable. :( also, this did appear to disable crossfire because my average fps went from 90 to 60.

Last edited:
This forum is so great for hardware question, but when it comes to software, the answers seem so vague. Does anyone know of a different forum for specific driver/software type questions?

Back