• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Annoyance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobthemoo

First off, i got my floppy drive working (but thats another story)

Anyway, so floppy disks are supposed to be 1.44mb right? Well, all of mine seem to be 1.38mb.

I need to flash my BIOS, (im updating to the 1205) so i followed the instructions thats came in the manual. When i create an MS DOS disk, and try to put the latests BIOS on, there is never enough room.

I dont know what to do now..

(by the way, the reason that im flashing is becuase i get a 'CMOS CHECKSUM BAS error, just after POST, and it wont go away.)

thanks

Disks are infact 1.38 meg.

What I do is make a disc botoable, then throw the new bios and flash program (only those 2) on a second disc. This ensures that I even have enouh space to backup the old bios.

Cheator said:
Disks are infact 1.38 meg.

What I do is make a disc botoable, then throw the new bios and flash program (only those 2) on a second disc. This ensures that I even have enouh space to backup the old bios.

But how does that work, do you have two floppy drives or something?

No. Here is the process:

1. Make disc 1 a boot diskette, and on disc 2 put new bios and AWDFLASH.EXE or whatever flash program your board uses.
2. Boot from Disc 1, the boot diskette, wait for the command prompt.
3. Once booted, swap diskettes and do a DIR. There should be the execute file and new BIOS bin file. Flash away.

Or...
Make a boot disk and delete everything except command.com, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS. They are all you need to boot.

Hmm, Cheator, your way didnt work (something about a bad I/O disk)

Screw it, im just going to RMA it.

Okay, just formatted again, for some reason it doesnt make any of those folders..... Im going to try another floppy......

Back