• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you flash your stable OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

almstsobur

In the past I have always found a stable OC on my cards using software OC'ing .. but then after I had it all dialed in I have always edited the BIOS and flashed it with permanent OC settings so I don't have to rely on the software OC. Alot of times I would also flash better memory timmings at the same time.

Does anyone else do this? Or does everyone just use the software OC'ing tools and live with that?

almstsobur said:
In the past I have always found a stable OC on my cards using software OC'ing .. but then after I had it all dialed in I have always edited the BIOS and flashed it with permanent OC settings so I don't have to rely on the software OC. Alot of times I would also flash better memory timmings at the same time.

Does anyone else do this? Or does everyone just use the software OC'ing tools and live with that?

I do the same, not only because i format a lot, but if i were to use it in another system, or on linux, i don't have to play with software to set my clocks.

timmings huh... can you skrew with the nvida timings on a 6600gt AGP? sounds quite intresting and im sure you get a lil performance increase... pluss if i skrew up my gfx bios i can always boot with a pci gfx card that i got from my uncle.

nd4spdbh2 said:
timmings huh... can you skrew with the nvida timings on a 6600gt AGP? sounds quite intresting and im sure you get a lil performance increase... pluss if i skrew up my gfx bios i can always boot with a pci gfx card that i got from my uncle.

Yea, you can mess with the timings .. it speeds things up fairly decent. But for sure you want a self boot batch filed reflash disk handy, or like you said a PCI card. I typically don't whimb it .. there is a good site I have bookmarked ar work that has some guru's that test alot of video memory timings etc.

I'm like you though icedragn, I tend to upgrade and swap cards from system 1 to system 2 and then to system 3 or my linux box. I like a hard OC so I never have to mess with any of that once it's stable.

almstsobur said:
Yea, you can mess with the timings .. it speeds things up fairly decent. But for sure you want a self boot batch filed reflash disk handy, or like you said a PCI card. I typically don't whimb it .. there is a good site I have bookmarked ar work that has some guru's that test alot of video memory timings etc.

I'm like you though icedragn, I tend to upgrade and swap cards from system 1 to system 2 and then to system 3 or my linux box. I like a hard OC so I never have to mess with any of that once it's stable.

for timings i went to Nibitor and clicked on timings then detailed timings.... stock are as follows

tRC - 12
tRFC - 14
tRAS - 8
tRP - 4
tRCDRD - 4
tRCDWR - 4
tRRD - 2

which timings should i mess with... and how will i kno when i have gone to tight of timings... also will loosenings the timings allow me to oc my ram further? hmmmm if i could oc my ram more that would be fawkin kick *** cus ocing the ram on my card yeilds in MUCH better performance

Back