Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Should i get A+ Certified?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 07-26-06, 10:03 PM Thread Starter   #1
thaclassikz

Should i get A+ Certified?

I've been studying lately to take the A+ core hardware/os exam. I want to ask those of you that have experience with it, if its worth getting? Basically i want the A+ certification so i can be qualified for better paying jobs. Please keep in mind that i am still in college so i don't want to waste my money getting the A+ certification, and if i fail the test thats even worst...

Old 07-26-06, 11:10 PM   #2
stang8118

This question comes up often here. If you do a search i am sure you'll find plenty of explinations of yes or no.

Personally i feel if you got the time + extra $$ i'd say sure go for it. I personally don't have one, but from what i hear its on pretty outdated hardware technoligy that most companies don't even use... though i am sure it'll look a little better on your resume.

Retired 3dmark Captain
Heatware 110-0-0
stang8118 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-26-06, 11:13 PM   #3
Lionsault_100

You won't fail the test if you have remote knowlege about computers..

It's not worth the paper its printed on save your money for parts or books

Old 07-26-06, 11:46 PM   #4
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

If you have a college degree most certs don't matter unless your going into a very specialized field. Ex. CCNP or CISSP. For your first job out of college it may help you get in the door.

Put it this way. We have 10 Sysadmins in my group. Only one has a MCSE.

Old 08-02-06, 10:43 PM   #5
Jod

I'm taking this on Friday as employer pays if I pass. I ended up grabbing the Passport book by Mike Meyers. It's really surprising to see some of this crazy old stuff in there. Where are the "Which of the following are dual card graphics technologies?" questions?

a. SLI
b. CrossSLI
c. Fire
d. Crossfire

Old 08-02-06, 10:48 PM   #6
fireandice

b crossSLI lmfao. wow now i can work for microsoft. better move to india now.
fireandice is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-02-06, 10:51 PM   #7
Jod

That is correct! A CrossSLI platform consists of a 440BX chipset in which one can insert 2 3dfx cards and join them together with a cable for twice the performance of a single cirrus logic 1MB chip.

Old 08-04-06, 08:08 PM   #8
Jod

Well, I passed. So now I can certifiably say, "The A+ test is archaic." It asked me how to get to this place or that place...in NT! Yuck!

Old 08-05-06, 08:44 AM   #9
snvpa

^^^ yeah the A+ is pretty archaic, it does supplement experience and depending on where you work some employers require you have it. It will not get you a job but along with experience it might make you a more desirable canidate. Really no reason not to get it if you have the time and $$$$. One thing to remember about certs is they won't always help but they will never hurt.
snvpa is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-14-06, 10:43 AM   #10
pcgirl

I got the A+ Certification back in April of this year, and yes some of the stuff is pretty outdated. However, there's plenty of old equipment still in use out there today and you never know when you may encounter it on the job. So, it definitely can't hurt to have a bit of knowledge on older technology.

Old 08-14-06, 12:32 PM   #11
twEEkerAreUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgirl
However, there's plenty of old equipment still in use out there today and you never know when you may encounter it on the job.
Bingo there is still tons of old equipment out there, if not at businesses especially at peoples homes attempting to get it fixed when the repair costs more then the value of it lol. A+ Cert has a handful of older questions, but its good to know just in case.

OCZ Platinum 3x2GB
Crucial M4 128GB SSD x2/WD Green 1TB x3
Hanns-G 28in/HIS Radeon 6950
Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Logitech Z-5500
twEEkerAreUs is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-14-06, 12:41 PM   #12
wing

If you want to do work in the IT field...yes you should. Many places look for that.
wing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-14-06, 03:58 PM   #13
ranc1d
Registered

I got my A+ before I went for my CCNA...now I'm just getting a basic BSIT degree...A+ helped out with my first Networking job. Which got me into my ASP / JAVAscript coding job im in now....which is funny because that has nothing to do with my Cisco Cert....but will look damn good on my resume 8)
ranc1d is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 03:35 PM   #14
David
Forums Super Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Location: Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews

10 Year Badge

Moved to GD.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.
David is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 07:54 PM   #15
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy

I had NO certs when I started doing IT work, now I have a Certificate in Network Security and Information Assurance, 2 certs in HP Desktop and Mobile Repair and Troubleshooting and at one point I was a Dell Certified System Engineer.

A+ is good if you are just starting but MOST Companies have gotten out of the A+ REQUIRED mentality and look for real world experience instead.

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 08:30 PM   #16
FudgeNuggets

It is my experience that A+ is good for entry level. If you want a good paying career you should have a BA and some of these certs, MCSE, MCSA, MCSP, Security +, Cisco and even RedHat Enterprise. A+ alone isn't worth much unless you are JUST getting started.
FudgeNuggets is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 08:33 PM   #17
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy

True Fudge but alot of companies are going back to the req. that you have experience instead of mandatory A+, MCSE etc..

The CISSP is not really geared towards either an entry level position OR a helpdesk oriented position. Network security is NOT Helpdesk work, they are two TOTALLY seperate job types.

Classies Rules and Regs
Old 08-19-06, 09:53 PM   #18
damarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgirl
However, there's plenty of old equipment still in use out there today and you never know when you may encounter it on the job.
Prime example. Earlier this year when I still did register pepair for Sears, the register software they used on the older registers was updated and I had to upgrade the system RAM for it to run... from 4mb to a whopping 8mb. So even huge companies can still be running ancient junk.

I say get the cert if you have the cash, the more credentials you have the better.

Antec P180B | Seasonic S12-500 | ASUS P5B Deluxe | E6600 C2D | ATI HD5770 | OCZ Reaper PC6400 2x2GB | 2TB total storage | 2x HP 23" LCD | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 and G5 DELUXE

My HEAT

damarble is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-19-06, 09:56 PM   #19
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by damarble
Prime example. Earlier this year when I still did register pepair for Sears, the register software they used on the older registers was updated and I had to upgrade the system RAM for it to run... from 4mb to a whopping 8mb. So even huge companies can still be running ancient junk.

I say get the cert if you have the cash, the more credentials you have the better.
It is a smart business practice to use what you have without upgrading constantly (assuming you dont have a fixed budget that has to be used or it is reduced).

The register fulfills its duties perfectly at 8mb of EDO ram (most likely). The ones in BB are at best P3 IIRC, but they also browse the intranet.

Classies Rules and Regs
Old 08-19-06, 11:40 PM   #20
fordsierra4x4

I thought about doing the A+, then i realised that for the money, i'd get very little return on my outlay, so i put it on my CV anyway. Yes, thats right folks, i lied on my CV, it's not like they're going to catch me out, i've been doing hardware since i was old enough to mod my ZX Spectrum

Besides, employers here dont ask you for paper copies as proof, so it makes no difference what i put down
fordsierra4x4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.