• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C1 Conroes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

I have noticed that the CPU-Z screenies of Conroe processors show a B1 stepping. Do you guys think that when C1 Conroes come out, the will be an increase in overclocking potential like we saw with the Preslers?

PWatterson said:
I have noticed that the CPU-Z screenies of Conroe processors show a B1 stepping. Do you guys think that when C1 Conroes come out, the will be an increase in overclocking potential like we saw with the Preslers?

I don't know PW. Later revisions will have performance optimizations, but would that be at the cost of a feature advantageous to overclockers? Your guess is as good as mine :shrug:

RangerXLT8 said:
Guys guys the retail chips still arent on the market yet!?!?! lol
yes they are BLT said this in a email for their preorder of my e6600
"In the meantime, we have secured your place in line for this popular item,
and as soon as stock is available, it will ship immediately. Additionally,
you will not be charged for this item until shipped (we have obtained a
temporary approval for the above amount, but it will not be collected until
the order ships.)"

guess what they CHARGED ME!!! you know what that means!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Evilsizer said:
yes they are BLT said this in a email for their preorder of my e6600
"In the meantime, we have secured your place in line for this popular item,
and as soon as stock is available, it will ship immediately. Additionally,
you will not be charged for this item until shipped (we have obtained a
temporary approval for the above amount, but it will not be collected until
the order ships.)"

guess what they CHARGED ME!!! you know what that means!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That you are one of the first!

No word from Tank Guys on an ETA, so I'm SOL. But I'm happy for you:beer:

RangerXLT8 said:
That you are one of the first!

No word from Tank Guys on an ETA, so I'm SOL. But I'm happy for you:beer:
i bet tankguys will get them in the morning remember they are a small operation. im so crossing my fingers these b2's are better then the b1' for ocing. all it comes down to now is a better bios for the ab9-pro.

i will be looking forward to reading you review with the E6400:beer: :beer:

actaully ranger i preordered my cpu on the 25th lol im one of the last in line i bet, so if the do ship it tomorrow.:sn: :burn:

Nasgul said:
From B1 to C1 is nothing more than just added power saving features and better thermal control but that goes out the window once the CPU is being overclocked.
I agree with this, for the most part (in general & in theory), but not completely.

Seems that most times that there's a new Intel stepping released, there's also some other minor "general" improvements, even if not stated as major "specific" changes in the PCN's.

Whether this is due to design optimizations, better process controls, or some other variable(s), I do not know.

We've seen this with each successive stepping of the Prescotts: Every revision seemed to run a bit cooler, consumed a bit less power, and OC'd slightly better, than the preceding stepping.

In theory the C1's may not be be "better", but in reality, they may perform incrementally better, as overclocking chips.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Stratcat said:
I agree with this, for the most part (in general & in theory), but not completely.

Seems that most times that there's a new Intel stepping released, there's also some other minor "general" improvements, even if not stated as major "specific" changes in the PCN's.

Whether this is due to design optimizations, better process controls, or some other variable(s), I do not know.

We've seen this with each successive stepping of the Prescotts: Every revision seemed to run a bit cooler, consumed a bit less power, and OC'd slightly better, than the preceding stepping.

In theory the C1's may not be be "better", but in reality, they may perform incrementally better, as overclocking chips.

This is just my opinion, of course.
well when preshot b1's needed 1.4-1.45v to do 4ghz and the new c1's can do that on stock volts to me that is a big difference. Some might not see it that way.

Evilsizer said:
well when preshot b1's needed 1.4-1.45v to do 4ghz and the new c1's can do that on stock volts to me that is a big difference. Some might not see it that way.

That is what I am hoping for. When my current rig becomes a little too slow for my tastes, hopefully some good revisions of Conroe will be out.

Evilsizer said:
Agreed.

This was exactly my point.

Often, new steppings may not only have the major "specific" improvements listed in the PCN's, but also additional "general" improvements, making for an over-all better product.

I'd best define this new stepping phenomenon as a "process of evolution & refinement", if that makes any sense.

And these additional refinements often produce a more overclock friendly chip.

Stratcat said:
Agreed.

This was exactly my point.

Often, new steppings may not only have the major "specific" improvements listed in the PCN's, but also additional "general" improvements, making for an over-all better product.

I'd best define this new stepping phenomenon as a "process of evolution & refinement", if that makes any sense.

And these additional refinements often produce a more overclock friendly chip.
well its just like tuning a car engine. like the Dodge Viper over time this V10 has gone from 450HP est. to i think its now 550hp+. over the years of testing and tuning they are still tring to extract ever last HP the that v10 has to offer.

Back