• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 1Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malodorous

Registered
I want to get up to about 1200Mhz. Right now I am at 152 FSB with no problems. I am running dual 1GHz 133 chips with 2GB of PC133. I will be going to PC150 shortly. Is there an ideas, tips, or tricks anyone can tell me to help me get there.
I have been to the 158FSB but it gave me problems. I set in bios the Dram to HstClck-PCICLk but the comp didn't like that, so I have to keep it set to HstClck. Anyway give me some Ideas and help me out. I am new to Overclocking. thanks for the support in advance.

And what is a good Voltage to shoot for. I am at CPU default now of 1.75. Where should i be at for stability.

Well, that's a good goal to shoot for on that chip. You may not need the PC150... all that is is PC133 that's guaranteed to work at PC150 with 3-3-3 RAM timing.... Try reducing your timing to 3-3-3 (if it's not there already). What motherboard are you using (or what brand computer do you have if that applies)?

As far as the voltage goes for, you'll need to go by the seat of your pants. When your CPU posts but is unstable, raise the voltage .05 volts, and see if it helps. Keep doing this until your CPU refuses to POST or you get to 1200, whichever happens first. Don't go over 2 volts without good CPU cooling.

I can set the voltage up to 1.95 and it post fine. Or i can set it down to 1.65 and it post fine. The problem comes when starting Windows, it gets to where it loads then freezes over 154FSB. I think it is a cooling problem.
I am running the Abit VP6. I am soon going to buy better fans like the Gold Orb or somewhere along that lines. I have one OEM fan and 1 MCX370 which is good but not great.
I have also set my Ram to Cas3 but it doesn't help. It seems stable at Cas2. It isn't rated at Cas2 but it works.
The PC150 I was going to buy is Cas2 and it is Corsair ram. Suppose to be excellent for Overclocking. BUt i am first going to get better fans then if my ram can't handle it then get the PC150.
I have read other post that state there CPU froze when it hit over 32C and was overclocked. Which mine does but it is stable at 152FSB. Any other tips or suggestions?
I have pulled out all my PCI cards and all ram except a stick and tried but it still freezes. and setting the Dram to hstclk-pciclk doesn't help, it seems to make it even more unstable. I can get the CPU to post up to 166FSB haven't gone anyfurther because it won't boot up into windows over 156fsb. so i know the CPU can handle the FSB but what I don't know is why it won't go into WIndows. Sorry for the long post but it is best to say what I have tried and where I am going.
Thanks

There can also be issues with the version of windows (found w2k, for whatever reason, to be very OC friendly but XP Pro to cut 5mhz off my fsb).

Voltages on cD0 chips (or any standard P3 coppermine cores) should never exceed 1.95v.

Memory at cas3 is a must, can also set the memory timing to turbo, this seems to help.

Be sure onboard sound and legacy sound are disabled.

If your temps are at 45C or higher, this might also pose a problem.

Hmmmmm... yea, could be cooling. That would be my first bet. Don't get a Golden Orb... those are only really good coolers at lower speeds... anything above 900 Mhz or so and they aren't as good as say a good Alpha PEP66 or something of the like. Find a good Alpha heatsink... and use a good quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver II.

If you can get the Cas2 Corsair, then get that. Some brands market their PC150 as Cas3 which most PC133 Cas2 can do.

Well where your at is about tops for a duel setup, it seems the chipset is your weakest link thats why minus clock and higher CV does not help, it would be great if you made it too 1200 i think you would be the first who made if you did. Getting a HSF for your northbridge and a few case fans as well as good HSF's for your CPU's would be a good start but i honestly think it will be tough at best to get to 1200. If you raise CV run minus clock speed, cas 3, and normal settings in ram timing and you boot up in the morning when everything is cold and it still does not boot at higher FSB settings then yes you have maxed out your chipset. Its been common knowledge that duel setups dont do anywhere near as good as a single CPU but I wish you much luck in your effort.

One note if your running a VIA chipset make sure that you have sideband disabled in your registry i think i was stuck at about where you are before i found this info.

Last edited:
isnt an MCX370 an awesome cooler? i suggest you use that, adn dont get a Golden Orb...they are really bad.....

You some what me thinks reached the max .

Espically on a dual make sure that thing is on cas 3.

And watch those temperatures.

Yes I use a MCX370 now and it is good, but at boot it still gets up to about 32c(93F). I will check the sideband adressing.
Thanks for the help. I will try and If i get there i will post and let you know.

Yea, I think you may have to face the grim possibility that that is the max. On a dual setup, you are limited to the speed of the slower processor. Doesn't matter if one of them can do 1300, if the other can't get past 1140, then you're stuck there. Try to get better cooling anyway... can never hurt to be too cool unless you're significantly below freezing... but I don't think you have to worry about that. 1140 is not bad for a dual setup. Anyway, good luck, and I hope I'm wrong.

alright I just got a good boot at 156FSB. the problem arises that when i run at 160 to get the 1.2Ghz.
If you are familiar with Win2K when it gets to the loading point with the blue progess meter at the bottom. it locks up there.
Same point basically with WinXP. Is it possible that the chips are getting to hot trying to load, and locking up? What is a good temp to look for. After boot up at 152FSB(1.4Ghz) I am between 32C-35C(89-95F)
SO the Dragon Orb3 or SuperOrb3 isn't good. I heard the sk6 is good but I really don't want to have to soder stuff togther.
I am getting to the point where I think I am at the max. I will soon research a better fan before I try to get any further. Thanks for all your help.

you dont have to solder anything with an SK6, and the DragonOrb3 is decent but for the money or noise it doesnt compete with the SK6....

oh maybe I justj looked at the wrong thing then. It is just a heat sink though right. I mean the fan it comes with really isn't that great. Suggestion was to put a delta fan ontop of it.
What about this Alpha PEP66 how does it stack up. I want the best heatsink and fan that will get me below 30C and keep me there.

Okay I just looked at the fan I had the MCX370, and it is suppose to be the best Heatsink for cooling. I looked at the site and I believe i have a regular crap fan. I am going to buy a Ystech 40+cfm fan for it and another MCX370 with the Ystech.

Malodorous said:
oh maybe I justj looked at the wrong thing then. It is just a heat sink though right. I mean the fan it comes with really isn't that great. Suggestion was to put a delta fan ontop of it.
What about this Alpha PEP66 how does it stack up. I want the best heatsink and fan that will get me below 30C and keep me there.
My PEP66 has kept my CPU cool very well. think the highest spike I've seen with it was 37°C. But there are some other coolers you might want to have a look into.

A fellow Oregonian! Where are you at in this great state of ours (insanity?)?

What kind of chipset cooling do you have? It may be that you have topped out due to your PCI cards not being able to handle the high FSB. Just an idea; keep pushin those P3s:burn:

I live over in Hillsboro.
I tried it without any PCI in the slots. I think it is ram not running at that high of a speed. I just ordered some OCZ PC150 to give it a shot.
Hope it will help. I don't have any chipset cooling, but it does have a heatsink on it.
I decided to go with dual MCX370 with the Delta 7000RPM 40CFM fan. Hope it helps cooling, but it will be loud.
Thanks for the support Peeps.

Back