• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumpster Headquarters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dz_jad

Ok, So I wanted some tips on dumpster diving. Considering, a free part for a computer, is another rig up and folding. Plus, I'm headed out to school at the end of August, and electricity is included in the rent.
So.
Ye 'ole pro's. Where are the best places you have seen to dive? Best Buy (I drove around tonight and found the dumpsters, but too early to dive), small compy shops?
Have you had experiences like the Gold Rushes? Meaning, everyone who tries finds it? Or does it take a while?
What time do you usually go and do it? Do you guys even dive or just find the pre-dumpster items?
Thanks for the info, and FOLD ON!

Actually iv read its against the law and you can get into MAJOR trouble over it.. People think if your int heir dumpester your there to get personal information.. Iv read several articles on it myself.. I tried it once.. didnt find anything behind a local parts store.

I've found my best stuff at office parks when the cleaning ladies are carrying stuff out of the offices to the sidewalk so they can put it all in their car at the same time and take it to the dumpster. My last good find was a 1.4ghz p4/mobo, a 2.4c p4/mobo(the garynator now has the cpu, someone else on team 32 has the mobo now), and a s370 pIII rig of some sort. Another time I got three 1ghz pIII rigs w/ cases, ram, and everything.
Another way is when people I know want new compies. After I build new ones, I convince them they have no use for the old ones, and they just give them to me for free!

SeasonalEclipse said:
Actually iv read its against the law and you can get into MAJOR trouble over it.. People think if your int heir dumpester your there to get personal information.. Iv read several articles on it myself.. I tried it once.. didnt find anything behind a local parts store.
Everything I've heard says it's public property once it goes in the trash, and it's fine if you retrieve it.

I'd stay away from the dumpsters of office buildings and business'(especially BestBuy...you'll get arrested as the store security is watching the dumpsters 'cause they know that's where the employees stash their stolen stuff). :eek: :eek: :eek:

Keep an eye on church rummage sales, yard sales. Check out independant second-hand stores; don't bother with Salvation Army or Good Will, they want a fortune for their stuff. Find the local crack-head mercy mission "thrift shop"(junk shop); they often have no idea when they actully have something of value. If they ask for $10, offer them $5...I bought an old rig for $5 at the local meth burnout shelter...wanted it just for the case, but I fired it up and discovered a nice fully functional Intel 75mhz with a whopping 540MB hdd, and Windows 3.1 on it! I didn't gut it for the case after all...that just seemed disrespectful. ;)

ihrsetrdr said:
I'd stay away from the dumpsters of office buildings and business'(especially BestBuy...you'll get arrested as the store security is watching the dumpsters 'cause they know that's where the employees stash their stolen stuff). :eek: :eek: :eek:
well that sucks. Does security work overnight at those places? maybe I can ask my brother, he used to work there....I'll also ask him if he's seen anything good go in the trash (didnt think about that till just now).

Sno, when you see 'em cleaning ladies, is it at night time? or like 6 pm after everyone leaves?

I pretty much stay away from places like BB, Frys, Compusa, etc. they think they own the trash too (and in reality they kind of do...) I just visit office parks and such where the dumpster is AWAY from the building, and shared by a couple or more offices. that way the trash there can be considered abandoned, and thus you are less likely to get into much trouble. In the one involvement with the police I have had in hundred of 'dives' they just asked me to go home, while they were rolling their eyes, lol

best places to find stuff is where people have brought their tossable junk to the curb to be picked up by the city trash collextion. A lot of folks out there just do not know what they are tossing out.

Almost forgot- a couple weeks ago my neighbor accross the road set out 2 partial computer cases by his trash cans...guess where they are now :D

I've picked a few computers up myself. Then after fixing them, I stuck them back out on the street. I had no room for them. I tend to go around 10-12am. I don't only look for electronics, in fact I recently found a 6 pack of hanes socks (identical to the ones I wear now), and a couple nice t-shirts that I use for working on my truck and such. Freebies are great. Bring gloves, bring a flash light, get a plastic bin for random things that may leak/break. I have found tons of candles with broken glass holders, so I throw them in my box and break off the glass later and my mom takes em. Also, checkout www.dumpsterworld.com, good stuff. I haven't posted there in awhile though.

- Jim

Back