• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting an A64 3200+ (Venice) Past 2550MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hougtimo

Registered
Hi,
I have always had fairly good experiences with overclocking, and my new 3200+ (s939) overclocks superbly! The only trouble I have is that if I go above 2.55GHz, say to 2.6GHz I am getting artifacts on the screen. Now nothing is overheating (CPU temps <40'C and case temps are <26'C underload), I take it this is because of the lack of an AGP lock on my motherboard (other people with this board seem to have one, but I can't find it.) Oh, and I know my RAM has plenty left in it, as the divider isn't down to 1.1 yet, and its running damn stable!

Specs:
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice S939
Asus A8V Deluxe Wireless Motherboard
1.5GB Unbranded RAM
ATI Radeon 9550 (AGP) 128mb
80GB Hitachi 80G IDE HDD (My 300GB Maxtor blew up :( )
550w PSU

If anyone could help, then please let me know!

I really would like to hit 2.6GHz!

Thanks

HougTimo

Sorry to double post but I have good news after fitting two case fans and re-doing my thermal paste with AS5.

CPU Specs:
2.6GHz
FSB : 260
Voltage 1.6v
RAM : 4:1

Is this good? Temps are still ok, although go up to 45'C under load now. Are there any good ways to keep the speed but reduce the voltage so it keeps cooler? Also whats the MAX voltage I should go to with the A64 Venice?

Thanks

HougTimo

That's a little high on the voltage. Personally, I would back up the voltage unless you're using something other than standard air cooling.

welco said:
That's a little high on the voltage. Personally, I would back up the voltage unless you're using something other than standard air cooling.
If I back off the Voltage, even just a little bit, it won't run at 2.6GHz and ends up BSODing (Win Vista)

Grrrr, the artifacts and wonkky graphics are back. Is there anything I can do to erradicate these?

Hougtimo said:
Grrrr, the artifacts and wonkky graphics are back. Is there anything I can do to erradicate these?

Unfortunately, without AGP lock, you can't. All you can do is get a board with AGP lock

You should really upgrade to an nForce based board. Any NF3 or NF4 board will have AGP lock. Even the newer VIA based boards have AGP lock these days.

Feel good about what you have. My brand new 3200+ tops out at 2300Mhz. Above that and I get Prime95 errors. Have you tested your with Prime? I would bet you have errors you aren't aware of way before 2600.

I can run my venice up to 2.55ghz on stock volts.

Anything past 2.55 I have severely up the voltage to go any higher.

I've got it running at 2.6 to 2.65 but the voltage is to high at that point and temps show that.

Last edited:
chas0039 said:
Feel good about what you have. My brand new 3200+ tops out at 2300Mhz. Above that and I get Prime95 errors. Have you tested your with Prime? I would bet you have errors you aren't aware of way before 2600.
After 12hours of Prime95 with it running at 2.55GHz, there are no errors.

BTW : I am really glad I found this site, you are all so helpful and friendly! Thanks a bunch guys! This site has my vote.:)

^Sounds like a good idea.

Also, I see a lot of people get to about 2.5GHz on the 3200+ on stock voltage, but I'm here running 1.55v and if i go any lower it BSODs. Is it because I'm using Vista rather than XP?

HougTimo

Hougtimo said:
After 12hours of Prime95 with it running at 2.55GHz, there are no errors.

BTW : I am really glad I found this site, you are all so helpful and friendly! Thanks a bunch guys! This site has my vote.:)

Now I'm envious again. Oh well. Time for a 3800 and dump this one on Ebay. At least I get 15% which really is better than what I need.

Back