• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Conroe take the Fun out Of OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Ok. It seems to me that any one of us with an Asus P5W DH is going to

a)need no extreme form of cooling
b)never reach the full potential of the cpu
c)all end up with the same results

Why? Because of the limitations of the FSB speed on our MOBOS. No matter what you cool your conroe with it seems that the Mobo is the limiting factor.
The material make-up of boards nowadays do not allow overclocking above a maximum of 500fsb and expect to be stable. 500fsb is just not fun with these chips and what they are capable of. So for the forseeable future, we can all put our vapochills and phase change in the closet, because heat is not the issue...it's the circutry in the Mobo!!!

I'm still going to use a vapochill ls with my P5WDH and E6600. Hoping the FSB goes above 425mhz.

That would be why they sell X6800's
seems to me that untill something changes, and your not willing to shell out a grand for a cpu and another (prefab retail) $900 on phase then getting a chip with a lower multi that will top out the stable clocks on the cooling your planing on using will be the wise investment. (thinking E6400 with a incredable FSB board and E6600 with a decent FSB board) but these will need some form of extream cooling to actually top out the core.

these are my best guesstamates.

greenmaji said:
That would be why they sell X6800's
seems to me that untill something changes, and your not willing to shell out a grand for a cpu and another (prefab retail) $900 on phase then getting a chip with a lower multi that will top out the stable clocks on the cooling your planing on using will be the wise investment. (thinking E6400 with a incredable FSB board and E6600 with a decent FSB board) but these will need some form of extream cooling to actually top out the core.

Agreed. But is there an incredible FSB board we can turn to now? Perhaps we just need to play the waiting game and see what the new Mobo's have to offer.

the DS3 without the bugs :p

and all of its other limitations... like lack of CF.

Epox4life said:
I'm still going to use a vapochill ls with my P5WDH and E6600. Hoping the FSB goes above 425mhz.

Why would you need to? I'll bet you barely have to touch the voltage to max it out. Probably good air cooling is all you will need.

The highest FSB i've seen out of one of those gigabyte boards is 530mhz.

Aircooling a E6600 will get you 3.6ghz max.

The DFI infinity is the DFI 975X offering, its for sale at newegg now. last time I checked $250 yea :rolleyes:
And its perfromance isnt steller so far.

Intel could have given us higher multi's on lower FSB chips PW.. me thinks they knew what they were doing to sell more X6800's

Say the E6400 was on a 800FSB and had double the multi ;) x16 :drool:

It occurs to me that even with the 6800, the board is always going to be the limiting factor. With these outrageous FSB, the next big technology breakthrough is going to have to be in the PCB material. I think we have definitely entered a new era in PC technology, one like that I haven't seen in quite a few years. :beer:

the multi goes up to like 60 on the X man ;)

whip out the LN2 its time for a party!! :beer: :beer:

Intels next move.. CSI and IMC, this FSB business will be history late next year on a 45nm fab. :beer:

um, from what im told the X6800's multiplier can go up to 60.

*Edit* green you beat me to it.

Well.. the E4300 will have a x9 on a 800FSB.. it will be fun getting all you can out of it for the low price you'll be paying for the CPU (another guess $159) Q1/07 ish

And if core solos/new celly's are going to really be on 266FSB :eek: WOW :eek:

If we talk stable 24/7 Overclocks:

Current FSB capabilities of the P5W DH are adequite, This board will run Atleast 425MHz with no mods.

E6300[1.86ghz] : 7 * 425 = 2.975GHz
E6400[2.13ghz] : 8 * 425 = 3.4GHz
E6600[2.40ghz] : 9 * 425 = 3.8ghz
E6700[2.66ghz] : 10 * 425 = 4.25ghz

Now those are substancial overclocks and to run them 24/7 stable, is going to require more voltage then some are compfortable with. So I feel that UNLESS you run Phase\TEC|other extreme cooling, the DH is not going to limit Conroe\Allendale OCing. This is my opinion. And the truth will come about in a week or so.

They should all have ~3.4-3.6 air alone.. Allendale already looks FSB limited by the board.
The rest, dig up JC's thread, he did very high end water clocks yes with high V. the cores will only get better with steppings.. It does look like we will need more FSB. and better cooling ;)

btw. low temps > what V

RangerXLT8 said:
If we talk stable 24/7 Overclocks:

Current FSB capabilities of the P5W DH are adequite, This board will run Atleast 425MHz with no mods.

E6300[1.86ghz] : 7 * 425 = 2.975GHz
E6400[2.13ghz] : 8 * 425 = 3.4GHz
E6600[2.40ghz] : 9 * 425 = 3.8ghz
E6700[2.66ghz] : 10 * 425 = 4.25ghz

Now those are substancial overclocks and to run them 24/7 stable, is going to require more voltage then some are compfortable with. So I feel that UNLESS you run Phase\TEC|other extreme cooling, the DH is not going to limit Conroe\Allendale OCing. This is my opinion. And the truth will come about in a week or so.

Well, for the e6300 I point you to http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_8.html

The DH, limited by FSB on Air with no Vcore raise. Granted, this is one article.

Back