• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is wireless N out already?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I'm at circuit city right now and they have a wireless N router that says it is 802.11n draft V 1.0

what does that mean? Is that just the first 802.11n specification? Or is it another pre-n thing?

Also, I'll just through a side question in here if you all don't mind. What is SRX? I have seen it on a few different cards and access points in variations of SRX and SRX400 but I have no clue what that means. I'm assuming it has something to do with extended range, but I'm not sure.

seems like it is out as i see products saying they use N so it's prbly out. wiki is unreliable.

DvBoard said:
seems like it is out as i see products saying they use N so it's prbly out. wiki is unreliable.

its not officially out, there is no agreed upon Wireless N standard. these are Pre-N devices

now I'm more confused. It doesn't say Pre-N at all, so it can't be "Pre-N" it might be another type of pre-n but I can't be the same pre-n that came out like a year ago.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...513404&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

that's the link to the linksys product I'm talking about. See where it says draft? But then it does say 802.11n....that's really what's confusing me

Btw, what does pre-n mean anyway!? :confused: I've never understood what it was talking about.

Last edited:
Kurz said:
Dont get N products for now. Your Neighbors will thank you.
(N products kill other people's networks with a claymore)

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/06/14/draft_11n_revealed_part2/

There a few benchmarks that actually make N a poor performer compared to G.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/06/01/draft_11n_revealed_part1/page10.html

Pre-n Means just that Pre recongition of the standard of N.
So far its been dismissed for the reason stated above.

so N is out...but isn't a good idea to get yet? When do you think it would be a good idea? Because I'd like to get something that can reach my grandfathers house next door, and he is just far enough away for the signal to be flaky if you even get a signal.

and why does it kill other peoples networks?

Another question that just came to mind; Is the extended range with N accomplished with MIMO? Or is it a different technology?

Wireless N is out and it is actually like 12 wireless G's packed into an array or something. It probably kills peoples networks because it dominates the signal range. The actual range of wrieless N is not that great.

We have some wireless N stuff at our school and its range is worse than a wireless G router that we have.

Last edited:
brakezone said:
Wireless N is out and it is actually like 12 wireless G's packed into an array or something. It probably kills peoples networks because it dominates the signal range. The actual range of wrieless N is not that great.

We have some wireless N stuff at our school and its range is worse than a wireless G router that we have.

That's why I'm hoping that no-one around me here in my apartment complex gets N. Their is already enough routers/ap's around me to probably feed the entire complex. 7 are visible to me right now, and I'm in a part of the complex that isn't very packed in together (new addition).

Is the final N spec going to be this damaging to wireless networks? If so I guess there won't be any backward compatible routers that support b/g/n?

What a bummer.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4173/939/

Report on this subject.^

Its caused by the amount of Noise (interference) this Standard Generates.
Try Talking on a 2.4 Ghz phone next to the microwave while its on...
Doesnt work.
(I cant talk on the phone unless I am right next to the reciever)

I am not saying I know how bad the interference is... Though If its been denied a few times it must be a bad standard.

@schnikies
It does support G/B Its just that all neighboring networks wont be able to communicate as well or at all with a N standard router in place.

54G is fine for all needs for now.
Hell I get ~700KB (Could be more... I really should pay attention) exchange rates when transfering stuff to other computers in my network. Of course its not fast as Lan, but it does just fine for Mid size files.

Last edited:
well it makes me feel a little better to know that if it is causing problems that they aren't ratifying the spec.

54g is just fine for my needs. i noticed 1.2mb/sec tonight on the ibook when messing around on www.ytmnd.com

if i need anything faster than that, i can just plug in to the network.

802.11n really 'out' yet, but you can buy devices based on what the standard might be. It isn't a standard by IEEE yet, and there is always a chance if you get an N device now, the passed standard will be different. They have to draft a standard and it has to be voted in by IEEE. From what I hear from engineers, IEEE standards dept is getting very large and inefficient at passing standards.

To the best of my knowledge N devices are going to be paired with 2 antennas on the wireless cards and 3 on the routers, possibly 3 and 4 as well. You basically send and receive through multiple spaced antennas increasing your chances of picking up a good signal. A set of 2 and 3 antennas would give you 6 possible paths, possibly increasing your range.

I hear the top speeds for 802.11n so far in testing conditions have been 120mbps. I don't know what the overhead is on N, probably at least 40%. I wonder what the usable throughput will be in ordinary settings.

Some info on overhead if anyone is interested, http://uninett.no/wlan/throughput.html

I'm taking a very short class on wireless communications, some of the stuff is very interesting. We learned how early cisco 802.11 cards 'cheated' by lowering their max contention window compared to other cards. Basically its equivalent to cutting in line, so you get more throughput when sharing with other 802.11 devices but can screw up the network.

cyberey66 said:
802.11n really 'out' yet, but you can buy devices based on what the standard might be. It isn't a standard by IEEE yet, and there is always a chance if you get an N device now, the passed standard will be different. They have to draft a standard and it has to be voted in by IEEE. From what I hear from engineers, IEEE standards dept is getting very large and inefficient at passing standards.

To the best of my knowledge N devices are going to be paired with 2 antennas on the wireless cards and 3 on the routers, possibly 3 and 4 as well. You basically send and receive through multiple spaced antennas increasing your chances of picking up a good signal. A set of 2 and 3 antennas would give you 6 possible paths, possibly increasing your range.

I hear the top speeds for 802.11n so far in testing conditions have been 120mbps. I don't know what the overhead is on N, probably at least 40%. I wonder what the usable throughput will be in ordinary settings.

Some info on overhead if anyone is interested, http://uninett.no/wlan/throughput.html

I'm taking a very short class on wireless communications, some of the stuff is very interesting. We learned how early cisco 802.11 cards 'cheated' by lowering their max contention window compared to other cards. Basically its equivalent to cutting in line, so you get more throughput when sharing with other 802.11 devices but can screw up the network.

ohhh, ok, so that is what the draft means. Thanks! I already decided not to buy one, but this will take care of any second thoughts I might have :D

I'll have to take a class on wireless communications, I'm really getting behind on this stuff. :-/....but I actually dont' know anything about wireless communications, so it's not so much that I'm behind in wireless technology as it is that I dont' know anything about it haha :beer:

I was mainly talking about networking in general, I took cisco classes, but forgot like everything I learned :cry:

Back