• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 Fan Controller Curcuit Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClarkKent

Ok so I'm going to try and make a fan controller to adjust the speed of the following 6 fans;

Delta AFB1212LE 12V .19Amp 2.28W
Delta ASB0812HH 12V .20Amp 2.40W
Delta ASB0812HH 12V .20Amp 2.40W
Vantec SF12025L 12V .08Amp 0.96W

I want to be able to adjust the minimum settings for each fan. I read through a bunch of things on circuits but I don't think I'm getting it very well. So I thought I would show an image I altered, of a circuit posted by Venom. I hope the image turns out and every one kind of gets what I'm going after.

1. Would this set up allow each fan to receive enough power?
2. Are Transistors Q1 and Q2 labelled correctly (Collector, Base Emitter) in the left most portion of the diagram?
3. It says that it is for 10W fans, does it matter that my fans only add up to 10W if you add them all together? Well 9.96W.
4. And the 12V line and the ground go out to a molex connector right? What confuses me is the "VDD".

Ok so hopefully you smarties can help me. I just want to see if I'm even close to figuring this stuff out yet.

Attachments

• Curcuit.jpg
    Curcuit.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 103
1. The max power depend on what the rating of the transistors are.
2. It looks like it will work if the circuit are properly biased. The Q2 is not labelled correctly, it should be Emitter, Base, then Collector from top down.
3. No it doesn't, just the max rating of the BD140 transistor
4. Yes, 12V and ground goes to molex. Vdd is the same as 12V

Do you need that 2k varsistor? I am assumming that you adjust the 1k varsistor to adjust the current draw of Q1 so that it can biasis Q2 along it quesisent point to allow current to flow through Q2. I think, Q1 determines your voltage and Q2 supplies your current. But I don't think this circuit will allow you to reach a full 12V on the high side.

Thanks for the reply Gentleman. I'm going to link you to where I got the information and then you will understand my thinking.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=351815

The circuit that I'm attempting is the "Stable 2-transistor controller with calibration and kickstart". I've taken out the kickstart because someone on that thread said it was unneccesary.

Please can any one else add in there 2 cents all the help I could get would be great. Thanks in advance.

Back