• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

775 socket Dualcore CPU 2.66GHZ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helshad

Registered
Well... this is my first post so I will try to make it short and to the point...

First.. I have a Asus P5LD2 Deluxe mainboard...

Secondly I have a Pentium Dualcore CPU at 2.66ghz (default) overclocked at 3.3ghz... With a 120mm fan working at around 45-50 degree celcius (at a hot summerday)...

My question is... can I overclock it more without damaging it? I heard from someone that its easily overclocked to 3.6ghz without changing voltage... but to get it to 3.8 I need to change the voltage... how will this affect it in terms of heat and such??

Any hints or suggestions would be nice from you fellas that know this...

I dont wanna install watercooling and stuff like that... my current fan will have to do... so thats why I am asking... do I dare raize it higher than 3.3ghz??

what kind of temps are you seeing under a load with it now? if your not raising the voltage Id keep raising the clocks till you run into instability provided the temperatures are all under control.

If you keep the temps within the design spec for your cpu and dont raise the voltage youll have a hard time damaging the processor through overclocking. heat and volts are the real killers for cpus. Ive heard over the years that for every 10 deg celsius you run a semiconductor over its rated operating temp you can cut its life in half so the closest you can get your cpu to ambient temps the better.

Post the rest of your machine stats.

Several things are important when oc'ing the pentium D 805 (i assume thats what you have)

1) Power supply. As you overclock it more and more these suckers draw some watts. If you run into some instability and have a so/so psu that could be why.

2) cooling. With massive draw of power comes massive heat. These things are furnaces. I run mine at 3.9 but I have an awesome HSF and keep my ambient temps low with A/C. I have also bumped up the voltage. I believe the stock volts are 1.3 something, you should be able to run it up to 1.5-1.6 with proper cooling, however you wont be able to get anywhere near that with your current cooling.

You can usually get up to about 3.6 on stock volts, any higher and you will have to raise it. If you increase your fsb to a point where the system is nto stable, increment your vcore untill it is, but watch your temps. Anything over about 65C and it will begin to throtle.

Thanx for the input fellas... Here is a bit more hardware info...

Powersupply - 460W
2GB 667Mhz DDR2 Memmory

I think thats whats intressting...

Once I raise the speed from 3.3 to 3.6 I figure the memmory will be effected too as I raise the bus speed on the mainboard right?

Should I consider putting some cooling on those as well?

I got another 120mm fan in the back of the box and 2 90mm in the front sucking in air.

Appart from the 120mm on the cpu itself.

The temp under heavy load is about 55-57 degree celcius but this is during a very hot summerday... In a normal day it stays around 52-55 degree when I render one of my DV tapes to DVD.

If its idle its about 45-48 degrees...

Ps... I will most likely not overclock it to anything higher than 3.6 ghz since I dont have the cooling for it...

:welcome: to the forums!

I hope you totally enjoy it here and have lots of fun overclocking!

What HSF are you using there?

Your core temps seems very respectable for that OC.

Evidently as you increase the volts so you increase the heat output of the CPU so expect anything from a 2 -5 degree increase in temp. However beware that it may throttle back the cpu if it gets too hot, you'll need to monitor that from Windows while heating the cpu up.

IME, my 805 began to throttle just slightly at 3.94 and a lot at 4.0. With better cooling that could be avoided though.

hmm, so water or high power air could be the way to go on these chips then.

I'm sure I read that it could be disabled or am i mistaken?

lennytiger said:
:welcome: to the forums!

I hope you totally enjoy it here and have lots of fun overclocking!

What HSF are you using there?

Your core temps seems very respectable for that OC.

Evidently as you increase the volts so you increase the heat output of the CPU so expect anything from a 2 -5 degree increase in temp. However beware that it may throttle back the cpu if it gets too hot, you'll need to monitor that from Windows while heating the cpu up.

Well... I am new to the forum but I am also new to some of the "short" terms you guys use... hehehe what is HSF ?? OC ??

Anyway.. I will not increase the voltage... I really havnt any need for that... 3.6 ghz should be more than enough for me ... just running 3.3ghz now is incredible fast... (used to have a 2.0GHZ P4 before) hehehe

My goal was to have a Dualcore CPU with enough power to render a full DVD (from DV tapes) in real time... wich my current setup is fully capable off... and at the same time being able to surf or work with documents and stuff at the same time... I havnt even noticed any lag so far... hehehe

It dosnt even use the full CPU capacity... I still have about 30% left when the rendering going full speed... My old CPU took 6 hours to render a 1 hour movie from the DV tapes... now its realtime... just as I like it... but I intend to play games later on like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R" wich will demand pretty much everything I can squeeze out of the cpu... not to mention the GPU... hehehe

But for that I have planned to buy a Geforce 7950Gx2 with 1GB ram... :rolleyes:

:welcome:
460W what PSU(power supply unit)?

HSF-heat sink and fan
FSB-front side bus

greenmaji said:
:welcome:
460W what PSU(power supply unit)?

HSF-heat sink and fan
FSB-front side bus

Sadly I dont remember what brand it was... the only thing I remeber is that my friend said it was one of the best on the market ( I bought it second hand from him when it was 4 days old... hehehe)

I can check my papers when I get home (at work now)...

I got a 120mm fan on the cpu... with one BIG heat sink... not sure what brand though... have to check that too later ... hehehe

When you figure it out could you post a link to the specs.. these dual core netburst monsters are really picky about power supplies. Even good brands can have non-compatible designs sadly.

greenmaji said:
When you figure it out could you post a link to the specs.. these dual core netburst monsters are really picky about power supplies. Even good brands can have non-compatible designs sadly.

Yea... My friend noticed that when he bought the parts... he had a hell to get it started the first times... It turned out that the first PSU he bought wasnt adequate for the job... but this new one worked fine... so I dont think it will be a problem...

Still, your going to be overclocking it.. Specs would help us help you.
I have done ALOT of power supply reasearch and have watched many a PSU fail overclocking dual core netburst chips over the last six months.

greenmaji said:
Still, your going to be overclocking it.. Specs would help us help you.
I have done ALOT of power supply reasearch and have watched many a PSU fail overclocking dual core netburst chips over the last six months.

Ok... I´ll take your word for it... :)

I´ll get back on the issue later today...

Back