• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Valk's new minicooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I have been kind of busy lately, so i havent had time to update my project log or add my water cooling.
So, here we can see, im still in the game =D

Loop is Pump (D5), Rad (coolrad -12T), GPU (Silverprop Fusion HL), CPU (Dangerden RBX) and my temps are 40C under full load. graphics card doesnt get any hotter than 45C and the ambient in victoria is a sunny 25-34C

I was worried about the single 120mm coolrad having the guts to handle this rig by itself. im sure im at the limit of its ability, but i wont be upgrading for a good long time, saving to buy my friends car, a 2003 Protege 5.

in any event, its a pretty stealthy build. quite unominious looking on the outside

outside.jpg

then you crack the side and you are greeted with this

inside.jpg

the rad mount took me a while to get to since i didnt have a drilling tool. I picked up a cheap cheap cheap jobmate and a $3 drill bit to tackle this, and i did the pump holes too. which was a little tricky since boths sides of the bottom are coated in akasa padding. gives me pc a nice tread and it doesnt move at all on the table.

cleanfront2.jpg

Looks great.

The Protege 5 is a great car, I have an 02 Sedan. The only thing you have to watch out for is rust. They are prone to rusting in the rear wheel wells and the seems for the doors and hatch sometimes. It does depend a little on where you live. I lived in Alaska and nothing rusted there. Moved to Ohio and everything rusts like crazy, including my shiny, not so new anymore, car :(

I was hoping to buy one out in alberta, since the tax out there is only 6% now thanks to harpers GENEROUS gst reduction of 1% :rolleyes:
But then I read a lot about premature rust damage to cars undersides and to check to make sure it has a solid undercoating to protect it fromt he salt used in alberta roads.

I might just buy it here in BC, but then im paying 7% more tax and it will cost more at base price.. I dont belive i should have to pay tax on a preowned vehicle but meh.

I liked the protege's. nice looking cars, reliable cars and next year when i buy it, it will be about 10k, so no college beaters for me =)
Also, lots of helpful people and information availble at the mazda forums and that guy who turbo'd his protege from scratch.

So im glad this watercooling worked, because it has to work for the next year and a while untill i buy that car, insure it, and start working through co-op.. maybe then ill be able to get the money together for a conroe.
Im pretty proud of this watercooling though. because untill i baught that coolrad -12t, I wasnt convinced that liquid cooling would work in this case at all. If i go to add a faster graphics card, ill run into space problems, since the pump is only 1/2" away from the gpu and less than 1/8" from the exaust of the rad. I can always turn the pump on its side and feed it with a arcing 90.
then again, if i do decide to add a faster graphics card, i might have to add another rad to keep up with the load. ah well. I want a 215TW before i even think about that.. by the time i can afford a cpu/gpu upgrade, somthing way faster and actully worth buying will be out. Kentsfield quad cores at 3 ghz perhaps? 3-3-3 dd2 1000? evga makes a micro atx sli board for falcon northwest again? or maybe dual core gpu technology.

Last edited:
I'm glad that single radiator is holding up the cpu and gpu blocks. I might try for a single in my lian li pc 65, since its pretty cramped like yours.

I think with a good pump, its easily done its just a question of how much fan noise you are willing to put up with. one of these days, ill 12 volt my fan to see if there is improvment.
I still have to reseat all the blocks, since the thermal paste is.... <_< I also want to add a chipset block since the onboard graphics tends to get a little hot.
If i ever bother to update my graphics card or cpu. ill probably add my bip to the rear giving me bix 1.5 capacity. for a 14" tower, thats a lot of crap to cram into it.

Back