• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Armaflex tape 1/8" Is this all I need on mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jame Gumb

I bought this tape today. Do I need more insulation on the mobo other than this tape configuration like joe camel's? Just -30c water loop. I have the piping covered. (Same board)

armaflex sheet on the back
armeflex sheet around the cpu socket
dielectric grease in the socket pin holes
dielectric grease around the socket under the armaflex

for -30C full blown insulation job. Check one of the many many guides all over these forums OC, XS, TP and pleanty can be found on google.

pin holes ROFL.. you've been playing with AMD rigs too long Pf. there are no pin holes with socket 775 ;)

oh yeah lol

Never the less the point stands. If there is air anywhere in the socket, replace it with dielectric grease.

PS: screw intel, they have been going down the toilet faster then an unwanted teen pregnancy on a prom night.

I read some here and at XS, I saw guatam was realy pushing that tape..... the other ones they were smearing petroleum jelly over everything... but they were using dry ice and stuff. I thought I was on the lower end of extreme cooling. That tape gets 5 stars IMO.

thanks guys

Jame, it kinda works like this
There are alot of methods of doing this and it all depends on how comfortable you are with the temperatures your going to be using and the risk of loss of hardware. If you can't possibly stand the thought of dead hardware, go all out, search for Vapor's posts about insulating hardware on XS and you'll understand what going all out means :p
Once I get there, Im going to order some conformal coating spray online.. its about $11-15 bucks a can and will do for ALOT of hardware :thup: but its not the end all be all of insulating.. air is the enemy here.

Jame Gumb said:
I read some here and at XS, I saw guatam was realy pushing that tape..... the other ones they were smearing petroleum jelly over everything... but they were using dry ice and stuff. I thought I was on the lower end of extreme cooling. That tape gets 5 stars IMO.

thanks guys

One is not a substature for the other. If you use the take ther is still air trapped between, which means water vapor which will condense and its downhill from there. The dielectic grease is used to replace all the empty space the air take up between the tape and the motherboard. But the grease itself doesnt insulate, hence the tape over it. You use both.

Tape over the greese for me has always made the tap slide around and not seal. The tape alown when applied correctly over a nailpolish coating has been enough for me.

I still prefer...

(From mobo up)
Mobo --> Nail polish --> Di-electric grease --> Neoprene --> Tape

top: mobo --> nail polish and/or liquid electircal tape --> conformal coating--> DE greese --> Neo --> DE greese between the seals in neo. on the board and the Neo. on the block.

bottom:mobo --> nail polish and/or liquid electrical tape --> conformal coating --> Neo.

the nail polish and or LET goes on the electircal contacts on the pcb

You can go nuts with this ;)

And as Pf. said.. there are plenty of guides out there. and a good air flow helps to remove condensation.

Last edited:
NoL said:
Tape over the greese for me has always made the tap slide around and not seal. The tape alown when applied correctly over a nailpolish coating has been enough for me.

I still prefer...

(From mobo up)
Mobo --> Nail polish --> Di-electric grease --> Neoprene --> Tape

...thats why you put it though the rear pegs comming from the evap mount, then it doesnt go anywhere. Nail polish is an imperfect solution for a few reasons. If you have to rma the board you cant, with glease you can clean it up pretty well if need be. Also there is still an air gap when you use nail polish, if condensation forms the nail polish will prevent it from shorting anything out under it, however once the drops lide down the mobo where there is no nail polish you might get some fireworks.

I method I prefer is more fool proof and redundant, but thats just me, I dont like to risk my hardware, others might not care. I remember when people were saying dielectric grease in the socket was not needed, then people started pulling their cpu's out and seeing the pins falling off due to them rusting off. Then the trend changed. Use the best method you can because the lost hardware is ussualy worth alot more then the little extra time and attention you could have put in to a better insulation job.

pure acitone from the HW store cleans up nail polish (and right about anything) really well, carefull it takes off all adheasives IE stickers.

Also takes off the lacquer of the mobo and some of the pcb. Acitone will take off a little to much if you know what I mean. I had some bad expiriences.

Back