• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to remove old cool paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard people promoting arcticclean but I've always used rubbing alcohol like they said above without issue in the past. 90% and above is best. 70% won't clean anything.

it depends on what kind of thermal material you have.

If its that stupid pink pad, Goo-gone works AMAZING, as it just makes the pink pad melt, and it wipes off easily.

if its the white thermal goop, Then go with the highest Rubbing alcohol percentage you can find ( aka: 90% and higher. anything lower, and it will take way to much time, and cause you to have to use alot more effort to clean the thing )

and as already said, 70% and lower is a waste of money. Might as well use water instead. ( but don't actually use water! )

I use this citrus cleaner to begin with, then nail polish remover, and then I do a final clean with 91% alcohol.

i had to switch around some socket a cpus and heatsinks so i had to clean off the old stuff this weekend. i found that the 91% dosn't work too well, but desolve-it works great. so does goo-gone i hear, but i still used the alcohol to clean that stuff off. the desolve it leaves an oily surface.

Acetone with lint free lens cleaning tissue is the best ! But beware, don't let that strongest plastic solvent touch non metalic part ! Good for grease/fat or even sticky cheap thermal goop. :D

Though alcohol is good but 98% or better is hard to find, any thing less than that will contain water residue to oxidize copper surface. Worst, common cosmetic grade alcohol even 95% contained some perfume ! :mad:

yeah ive used all of the above. acetone is best for the sticky gummy stuff, and alcohol for final clean or for AS5

Back