• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Orange or yellow? what a rainbow MB~!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimsum232

I currently own a LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D with2x512 of ram in both of my orange slots. I'm planning to purchase 1GB of ram to bring it up to 2GB in Total. Now my question is , should I purchase one stick of 1 GB ram or 2 sticks of 512mb?? because I'm thinking that when I upgrade ram , I must buy it in pair since there some sort of peformance boast or compatibility issues for matching the rams with the color ram slots??

Thank you

get 2X512 stick. that runs them in dual channel dual channel will proform much better than a stingle 1gb stick

in all honesty i would sell the existing 2 x 512's and buy 2 x 1gig. granted it would cost a little bit more but that why your selling the existing ram.

other wise yea 2 more 512's....will probally have to run it in 2T command that way but its not a big performance hit

how about 2x1gb with my 2x512???
If you bother to study the different memory modules you'll find they have different timings, particularly between 512mb & 1gb, the latter being slower. So to have any chance at all you would have to run the 512mb at the slower timings which you would have to manually set, there is then of course the issue of what voltage you riun your memory at , as the different modules may have a different operating range. The memory controller is on the cpu, don't forget.

i'd just go with 2x1gb as Niku-Sama suggested.

When running two or more sticks of memory, you have to use a 2t command rate. Also, the orange slots on the DFI mobo's are known to overclock better, so you be limited by the sticks in the yellow.

PWatterson said:
When running two or more sticks of memory, you have to use a 2t command rate. Also, the orange slots on the DFI mobo's are known to overclock better, so you be limited by the sticks in the yellow.

Well that really depends on the type of RAM being used. With TCCD, you are correct, but with BH5, the yellow slots are better. So, a general rule of thumb would be:-

High voltage RAM--->Yellow slots
Low Voltage RAM--->Orange slots.

:sn:

Whether to go with another pair of 512 sticks or 2 1 gig depends on your current system set up. If your Overclocking the ram and cpu then upgrading to 2x1gig is the best upgrade path, but if your running stock or just oc'ing the cpu then another 512 pair will work fine. With 4 sticks of ram you have to run 2t but in real world use the performance difference is small. You also want to make sure that the memory is rated with the same timings.

Back